DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Insulating from the outside

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 AM  
monzamadman

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That is not what it looks like under the house(ooops) this is.
The floor joists appear to be notched into the timber.
image-4293433498.jpg

image-550333550.jpg   image-502353706.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 10:23 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 840 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

That answers a few questions, The joist on the right looks suprisingly good but the one on the left is what is suspected you find. A copper based treatment is not rated for inside houses but when you find stuff like this the building inspectors and engineers call for it to be applied to anything that might have rot and anything that will touch the old wood and anything that is sitting on concrete, as much as you can without doing more damage. A quick call to you city inspectors for a recommendation might be called for or talk to people at a real lumberyard.
Anything new you put down against concrete need poly or sill gasket between wood and concrete.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:10 PM  
monzamadman

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry guys no pics this evening, got the timber replaced, it is ugly but very functional. Not my best work which is why there are no pics. It went in so tight I had to use my splitting maul to get it in as far as it needed to be. 1000 times better than what was there. Thanks again fellas for all the info, I wouldn't and more than likely couldn't be doing this with out all your help.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 352 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I have found on projects like yours there is a strong desire when these problems pop up to get a fix in place and keep moving. I have to always remind myself this is most likely the only time I’m going to ever have this opened up ever again nor do I ever want to open it again and I have to force myself to take a little extra time to do all the little details like Neal has been mentioning.

As to pretty that’s not important as long as the fix is solid. Pretty don’t matter till you start hanging siding.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:58 PM  
GBR

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Even in the 1950's they used brick/mortar for air-sealing/fire-stopping/floor joist lateral displacement/rim joist insulation, at least around here. Maybe they got rid of extra brick from the chimneys, as they match in my house. Appears they are sitting on concrete pavers about 1" thick on the CMU's in Post #39.... standard for the age.

Some insulation ideas;http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/published-articles/pa-remodeling-for-energy-efficiency

Fig.43; http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/reports/rr-1108-hybrid-foundations-retrofits-measure-guideline

Gary

Last edited by GBR; 06-26-2013 at 09:07 PM.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 840 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post
Even in the 1950's they used brick/mortar for air-sealing/fire-stopping/floor joist lateral displacement/rim joist insulation, at least around here. Maybe they got rid of extra brick from the chimneys, as they match in my house. Appears they are sitting on concrete pavers about 1" thick on the CMU's in Post #39.... standard for the age.
Gary
The bricks in there are new to me I was worried about the condition of the end of the floor joist. I would hate to tell someone to do something just to have them come back and say the floor sagged or something

Old 06-27-2013, 08:22 AM  
monzamadman

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The ends of a couple of the joists had some rot, someone else has added some additional,patches I guess they would be called. We used that copper treatment where we could before we buttoned up the timber and everything else. I am confident we won't have any issues. The wrap at the top is to just cover a gap between what we had done and what was tore off. One more window to put in, a cover to build for the cellar,then I can start siding.

image-2782273732.jpg

Old 06-27-2013, 08:25 AM  
monzamadman

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzamadman
The ends of a couple of the joists had some rot, someone else has added some additional,patches I guess they would be called. We used that copper treatment where we could before we buttoned up the timber and everything else. I am confident we won't have any issues. The wrap at the top is to just cover a gap between what we had done and what was tore off. One more window to put in, a cover to build for the cellar,then I can start siding.
We want to get the siding started before we start on the upper half,dog likes to eat well everything and we can't have him eating the wrap.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 352 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Just curious now that you have went up the walls a ways, have you found any problems higher up in the sheathing or even the clapboards with rotten wood and such? Or has it mostly been around the foundation?

Looks real nice what you have done so far.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:29 PM  
monzamadman

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

There has been some, it seems that where ever there is any seam, wether it is in the siding or sheathing there is some rot. We had to replace a small section,under the big window,of the interior sheathing.(the walls go,from inside to outside) Sheetrock,p&l,then wood the same as the exterior sheathing,2x4 exterior sheathing.

Quick Reply