DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Insulation Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 PM  
SErtel

Default Insulation Advice

I have recently purchased a 2800 sq foot home in New Orleans. The house was built circa 1910. It has absolutely no insulation in the attic, crawlspace or walls. There also is not any attic ventilation.

The home is a pier and beam foundation which is raised about 3 feet. The crawlspace is not enclosed. There is no subfloor, my hardwoods rest directly on the floor joist.

I have had a few contractors come out and bid on the insulation job. I have gotten a variety of opinions on it, so I am very confused on what to do. One has said I need to tear out the siding and put in insulation (batts or preferrably spray in closed cell foam), and put up a sheating and moisture barrier. That sounds great but the cost is astronomical. Another contractor said to blow in fiberglass insulation through numerous holes in the wall. Another person said option 1 was cost prohibitive, and option 2 was useless, and that I should just worry about insulating the attic and floor. Finally I read on the internet that insulating the floor would cause moisture build up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 03:19 PM  
Bubba Ray

I would be careful about insulating the floor with fiberglass in N.O. In SC it tends to hold moisture and provides living area for mice.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:21 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 788 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

start with attic for sure and the floor, I would do it but do not cover with poly or wood
wire mesh could be used to hold it in place and keep critters out. there is no short cuts for the walls.

Quick Reply