DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > insulation falling down

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 PM  
Tex

Default insulation falling down

Greetings all,

I have a pier and beam house and have "rolled" fiberglass insulation between the 16" centers. Some of the insulation is falling down for two reasons, one, age,I suppose,it just wears thru the staples and falls down, and two, raccoons get in there. Is there a cheap, quick device to hold the insulation in place? I could just restaple, but it is old and probably won't hold long. I was thinking of some springy type plastic device to wedge between the 16" boards. I have checked with our local home improvement store with no luck. There is not much I can do about the raccoons except to find where they are getting in, and closing that up. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If the house is that old then most likly it's ballon constrution. Your going to have to do one of two things. Block up every stud bay from under the house, or remove every thing on the inside walls and block at the top and bottoms of the walls.
If your talking about wall insulation then most likly there was no where near enough staples installed when it was first done that's why it's failing not that it just got old.
If it's under the house then it should have been held up with wire insulation hangers not staples every 2'.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 AM  
Tex

I am not sure what the term ballon construction means, but that's ok,let me explain to make it a little clearer. The insulation that is falling down is under the house and is under the floor. It is horizontal, above my head. There is an outside door that goes under the house, and when you go in this door, you are beneath the floor, you look up and that's where you see the insulation. Does this make better sense? I think the "wire insulation hangers" are what I am lacking. I bet they were not installed when the insulation was installed. A lot of things in this old house were not done "up to code". I suppose I just ask/look for these hangers at the home improvement store?
Thanks for you reply.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 AM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Staple chicken wire up to the joist, that does a good job of holding it up, but you will still have to keep the coon out . Paul

Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 PM  
nealtw

Liked 675 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 1196

The chicken wire is the best idea but there should be no gap between insulation and the floor so it would be good to fill the area between floor and wire. Check in your area about the paper, up here we are not allowed that, as it creates a barrier in the wrong place.

Quick Reply