DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > OK to blow cellulose over blown fiberglass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 04:00 PM  
Bubba Ray

Default OK to blow cellulose over blown fiberglass?

My access to 1/2 of my attic is thru a 1' by 2' hatch in a second story closet. The blown fiberglass is full of mice holes and acorns and is thin(2-4"). The freeloaders have been evicted. The area is open with no walk or crawling boards and the ceilings below are textured. I would like to blow in cellulose over the fiberglass. Any problems with this idea?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 04:17 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 82 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default sure

You just may get a lesser R- value in the long run.
If this was my job, I would remove all the nasty stuff with the insulation . If you ever need to do any future electrical or plumbing work this is going to make it a mess. And it will get rid of any smells that stay in the old fiberglass.
Just my 2 cents.

Just My
Made in the

Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 PM  
GBR

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

As ID said, remove the old and other solids, replace and check the weight with the existing drywall and on center spacing: Residential ENERGYSmart Library

Cover the attic side of knee walls with house wrap to prevent wind-washing and convective loops in the wall batts: http://www.simplesavings.coop/simplesavings/SIMPLESAVINGS%20knee%20walls.pdf

Stuff small plastic garbage bags with f.g. to air seal under (between joist bays) and over (between rafter bays) the knee wall- tight to the baffles at the sloped ceilings. Use foam electrical outlet covers to air seal the heat loss there.

Wear a mask, gloves, long sleeves and goggles around the mouse feces as it can cause major health problems.

Gary

Old 12-22-2010, 08:32 PM  
Bubba Ray

Default Not going to remove old stuff.

No way will I remove the old stuff. Will install baffles for sofit vents and have ridge vent now. Just planning to blow cellulose on top of the fiberglass. The access to this area is terrible!

Quick Reply