DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Replacing attic insulation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM  
langbakkan

Default Replacing attic insulation

Hi,
Our house was built in 1954 and the insulation installed then is still there. About 25 years ago my husband added some additional insulation but I beleive it now has lost its effectiveness. In addition, the insulation is dirty, there is mice up there, and a lot of stink bugs. I would like to replace all the insulation but my husband dismisses the idea. Kindly let me know what you think.
Thanks / Langbakkan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 06:29 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Insulation typically does not loose it's effectiveness.
However, if it is matted down with dirt, infested with mouse droppings & stinkbugs and is from 1954, this would be the one time I would actually vote to replace it.
Today's modern insulation is much more effective than insulation used in 1954 in addition to the contaminants that might compromising your health.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:42 AM  
langbakkan

to kok328
Thank you very much for your reply. I do feel uncomfortable knowing there is mice droppings and dead bugs up there, and I hope your mention of a health hazard will help persuade my husband that we should replace the insulation.
Thanks very much!
Langbakkan

Old 03-13-2011, 07:48 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It will do little good to replace it if you do not take the time to figure out how the critters are getting in.
Finding and fixing loose siding, sealing any holes on the outside of the home. Going under the house and sealing any old holes where plumbing and wiring were run, Checking any screens in foundation vents, gable vents, soffit vents ECT.

Quick Reply