DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Temperature rating of reflective insulation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 05:21 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Temperature rating of reflective insulation?

Does anyone know what the max temperature of radiant reflective insulation is? It just says Class 1 fire rating.
I am making an outdoor wood furnace. I am using roxul insulation in a small metal shed to house it. That has a burn rate of 2,500F. I have a roll of the reflective installation and was thinking of using it in between stove and roxul on face of metal studs. It will be within inches of the stove. Trying to make this as safe and efficient as possible.

cb2a78f9-f9ab-47e0-acc9-3f9ad43fd845_1000.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

Having anything that close to the furnace might be questionable. I think mostly the fire rating will just give you the time it takes to burn thru. I think layers of sheet metal with spaces between would be better. Each space would be able to draft cool air from the floor so each space going out would be cooler. The real question is how hot it is just inches from the unit.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 AM  
insulation_stop
Foil Insulation Pro

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Max Temperature for Bubble Foil Insulation is 180 degrees F.

Guyod:

It's 180 degrees F for the reflective bubble insulation you show in the picture. Here is a shot of ours as well. The product is not designed or intended for a direct wrap around furnaces, chimneys, etc.

It can however be used around the furnace to reflect or radiate heat away from the insulation. The best way to see how close you can put the material for your specific application is to test some non-reflective material. Position the material where you want the foil insulation to go and allow the furnace to heat up and take heat measurement readings. The darker the material the better as it will absorb more heat.

The Class 1 / Classes A fire rating is for use with interior surfaces, insulation, drywall, and other materials used in building construction.

If you want a full breakdown of the testing and certifications for InfraStop bubble foil insulation please let me know and I can email it to you.

infrastop-foil-double-bubble-48-50.jpg  

Last edited by insulation_stop; 10-25-2013 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Changed text - Could not link to the testing page
nealtw Likes This 

Quick Reply