DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Bathroom Ceiling Woes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM  
jmclanon

I haven't called Zinsser yet. Maybe I should do that.

I really don't want to deal with hanging new drywall, so hopefully I can come up with some other alternative.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 AM  
jmclanon

Just called Zinsser. Not surprisingly, they said it's probably the topcoat. They also suggested that it (the top coat) might just require more time to cure. I doubt that though. 1.5 months, and the odor/softness doesn't seem to be getting any better.

What a pain. All I want to know is the easiest way to repair it. Can't wait to figure that out. I'm going to go back to the Sherwin Williams store today and see what they recommend for repair, although they'll probably say scrape/sand and repaint.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM  
yeahman

I had a similar problem once and it turned out that the vent fan was indeed sucking air out of the bathroom but it was venting it into the space above the ceiling instead of outside. Somebody forgot to hook it up properly. Once the vent ducts got hooked up and started venting the air outside instead of into the space above the ceiling, the problem was fixed and the ceiling stopped peeling.

Something to check, anyway. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM  
imported_Workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
I had a similar problem once and it turned out that the vent fan was indeed sucking air out of the bathroom but it was venting it into the space above the ceiling instead of outside. Somebody forgot to hook it up properly. Once the vent ducts got hooked up and started venting the air outside instead of into the space above the ceiling, the problem was fixed and the ceiling stopped peeling.

Something to check, anyway. Good luck.
That is what I was wondering as well. Just because it is sucking does not mean it is venting outside.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM  
Point65
You Want Me To Fix What?

Does venting outside make a huge difference instead of just venting into the attic?

I don't have the same problem, but I wonder if our new, bigger-air-flow exhaust should be working better than it does. It doesn't seem to want to suck air and shower steam out of the room as much as I thought it would. It's gotten pretty loud, as well. I'm wondering if it just blows air right back into itself instead of all outbound.

Quick Reply