DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Best Paintgun for Amateur

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Best Paintgun for Amateur

What is a good gun/hopper for an amateur just look to paint his home/fence on occasion? Something not cheap but not professional.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 87 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Wagner makes a piston operated electric gun that works pretty good, but are noisy.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I bought a hundred dollar Graco set up and after my third use it started leaking paint through the handle to where it is unusable. I had only heard good things about them but I am not pleased.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 AM  
Austin

Did it have a warranty?

Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 PM  
imported_Workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
What is a good gun/hopper for an amateur just look to paint his home/fence on occasion? Something not cheap but not professional.
Are you looking for something that is essentially a disposable unit? How many times a year are you going to use it? What do you mean by not cheap? What type of products are you wanting to spray?

I am a professional in the trade and have various spray set ups and the advise will depend upon your budget and needs.

If you are mainly doing furniture pieces I would consider an hvlp but they are not cheap as you want something that has higher stages, also a hvlp is not good for latex paints as the product needs to be thinned to much even with a higher stage unit.

If you are wanting a airless type finish in a HO convenience something like the Wagner paint crew power painter will work but these types of units fail prematurely and it may work great for your first project or two and then when you go to set it up for the third it is done and not worth repair.

Then you have hand helds, I have the Graco Proshot FF and it really is a nice piece but it costs about as much as a Titan 440i and by no means replaces a standard airless and not to mention that it is a disposable unit that will only last for X amount of gallons. In the same class of sprayer is the Titan Pro Finish, I have one of these as well and it sprays pretty good, it is a lot louder than the Graco unit and is also essentially disposable but it is also quite a bit cheaper and if truth be told it is a rebadged Wagner.

Airless will be your best bet and from a HO's point of view they will essentially last forever if properly taken care of. I am not speaking of those units sold in the box stores though as they are not worth the repair costs and lack in the quality of a professional set up. I know what you are thinking, you said nothing professional but if you bought either a Graco 390, 395 or Titan 440i you would have a machine that many professionals rely on. To save the coin I would consider buying used, going to a paint sprayer service shop and picking up a unit that they repaired but was never picked up will save you a lot of money. Also the HD, rental department sells their rentals units as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 AM  
Alonzo8100

Sata 3000,best gun you will ever use.The most important thing is that its variable size nozzles.

[url=http://huntwood.com/kitchen-cabinets/?p=286]Online Kitchen Cabinets[/url]

Quick Reply