DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > bought wrong sheen, can I fix it somehow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM  
pmarie

Default bought wrong sheen, can I fix it somehow?

With my bad advice in hand, my husband purchased 10 gallons of Sherwin Williams paint today in satin sheen... help!! We are painting our great room with kitchen and I read that satin is too shiny for walls, is there anything I can do either to the paint in the bucket or after we paint to fix this, maybe a matte glaze coat (an uneducated guess)? We have already made some mistakes that have cost us extra money, I can't keep buying more paint... I sure hope there is something we can do. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 AM  
chrisn
paper hanger , painter

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Nothing I know of to change the sheen, except to paint over it.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 PM  
imported_Workaholic

Is it a tinted color that can not be returned? If it is wall paint and you have not used it all and are desperate you could buy some flat of the same and box them together. Not the best advice to follow but I have mixed sheens before.

My professional advice would be to either live with the satin which can be fine if your walls are not riddled with imperfections, the other option is to buy more paint, scuff the walls, and repaint them in the desired sheen.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 PM  
Cdaniels
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Is it a tinted color that can not be returned? If it is wall paint and you have not used it all and are desperate you could buy some flat of the same and box them together. Not the best advice to follow but I have mixed sheens before.

My professional advice would be to either live with the satin which can be fine if your walls are not riddled with imperfections, the other option is to buy more paint, scuff the walls, and repaint them in the desired sheen.
I worked with a painter once that always made his own eggshell by mixing flat and semi-gloss 50/50.The satin is most likely NOT "too shiny" for your walls.Try a wall and see if you can live with it.Otherwise it's buy more paint.

Quick Reply