DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Clark + Kensington Paint + Primer in One

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 PM  
RickMerlander

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Clark + Kensington Paint + Primer in One

The description on the can says this is a premium exterior product. No additional primer needed unless painting over tanin staining woods like cedar and redwood. Are these paint + primer in one products really better than a separate primer + waterbase paint for general exterior use? Any downside to these products or this one in particular. Thanks.

Rick Merlander
Molokai Hawaii

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 AM  
chrisn
paper hanger , painter

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Better? Thats debatable. Nothing has changed in them, they always covered the same. It is mostly a marketing scheme. I still think for exteriors a slow dry oil and 2 finish coats is the way to go.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM  
RickMerlander

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Best Exterior Primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Better? Thats debatable. Nothing has changed in them, they always covered the same. It is mostly a marketing scheme. I still think for exteriors a slow dry oil and 2 finish coats is the way to go.
You bring up a good question about primers. I've been trying out Zinnser oil base Cover Stain Primer on new cedar and the Zinnser water base 1-2-3 Primer. Two coats of the water base primer still did not stop cedar bleed through. One coat of the oil base Cover Stain did. So I can see a real advantage in oil base primers for cedar and redwood anyway. But what is the advantage of the slow dry oil base primer vs. say, the Zinnser Cover Stain fast dry primer. The fast recoat time is a big advantage to me in many situations ( like letting me spray primer and top coat the same day ).

Rick Merlander
Molokai Hawaii

Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 PM  
jasjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMerlander View Post
The description on the can says this is a premium exterior product. No additional primer needed unless painting over tanin staining woods like cedar and redwood. Are these paint + primer in one products really better than a separate primer + waterbase paint for general exterior use? Any downside to these products or this one in particular. Thanks.
Paint and primer in one products are that particular company's. best interior or exterior product. Your first coat is the primer and second is finish coat. Always best to prime first. Slow drying oil exterior primer locks in tannin bleed does not dry as brittle as a quick dry oil primer therefore your topcoat will last longer use exterior latex topcoat over either primer.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM  
RickMerlander

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjr View Post
Paint and primer in one products are that particular company's. best interior or exterior product. Your first coat is the primer and second is finish coat. Always best to prime first. Slow drying oil exterior primer locks in tannin bleed does not dry as brittle as a quick dry oil primer therefore your topcoat will last longer use exterior latex topcoat over either primer.
Thanks for the helpful information. That makes sense that the slower drying oil base primer would be more flexible than the quick dry stuff. So, if you applied a slow drying oil base primer, any opinion as to whether as a topcoat a "Prime+Paint in One" topcoat is better, worse, or the same than a quality latex topcoat. Mainly I am wondering if the Prime+ topcoat adheres better since it has some sort of primer in it, I guess. Thanks.

Rick Merlander
Molokai Hawaii

Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 AM  
chrisn
paper hanger , painter

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful information. That makes sense that the slower drying oil base primer would be more flexible than the quick dry stuff. So, if you applied a slow drying oil base primer, any opinion as to whether as a topcoat a "Prime+Paint in One" topcoat is better, worse, or the same than a quality latex topcoat. Mainly I am wondering if the Prime+ topcoat adheres better since it has some sort of primer in it, I guess. Thanks.
The whole point is, THERE IS NO PRIMER IN THE PAINT, it is still the same paint. it always was and most likely always will be. How would the primer jump out of the can and lay down before the paint did? Any quality 100% acrylic topcoats will work AFTER the primer.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 AM  
jasjr

Quote:

Paint and primer topcoat will adhere better. Because it is a better product. Not because it says it has. A primer in it. It does not have a primer in it. The quality of the product is why you sometimes can get away With using it as a primer and then finish coat. Certain circumstances always require a primer.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:33 PM  
RickMerlander

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjr View Post
Paint and primer topcoat will adhere better. Because it is a better product. Not because it says it has. A primer in it. It does not have a primer in it. The quality of the product is why you sometimes can get away With using it as a primer and then finish coat. Certain circumstances always require a primer.
Very helpful. I had the wrong idea about what this product was, and that was a very helpful clarification. Thanks.

Rick Merlander
Molokai Hawaii

Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 PM  
RickMerlander

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
The whole point is, THERE IS NO PRIMER IN THE PAINT, it is still the same paint. it always was and most likely always will be. How would the primer jump out of the can and lay down before the paint did? Any quality 100% acrylic topcoats will work AFTER the primer.
I got it, thanks.

Rick Merlander
Molokai Hawaii

Quick Reply