DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Painting Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f107/)
-   -   Comfort Zone (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f107/comfort-zone-16860/)

imported_Workaholic 04-22-2012 07:57 PM

Comfort Zone
 
Typically painting is not rocket science, yes it takes practice to get professional results and yes it takes experience to know what products to use for what situations and what tends to work and what does not but as a professional paint contractor I think that many diy workers are more than capable of completing a project without that many stumbles. Yes a professional is going to do it faster but when it comes to basic painting it is about the comfort zone. So with that said what is your comfort zone on ladders? I have them up to 40' and anything needed beyond that I rent a lift but where do you draw the line on where you feel comfortable off the ground?

havasu 04-22-2012 09:41 PM

I hate heights but on real tall ceilings, I have rented a scissor lift and it is not too bad. If I can't get the lift where I need to climb, I will do what it takes to finish the job. I may not like it, but the job has to be done.

Chris 04-22-2012 10:25 PM

I am frequently 20 or more feet underground in a trench so being up in the air is kind of like a bonus. Instead of wondering if and when the earth will eat me my only worry is falling on it and that is not to bad in comparison.

imported_Workaholic 04-23-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havasu (Post 347)
I hate heights but on real tall ceilings, I have rented a scissor lift and it is not too bad. If I can't get the lift where I need to climb, I will do what it takes to finish the job. I may not like it, but the job has to be done.

Sounds like you know what you are doing for the most part. We all prefer the quick low work but the high work has to be done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 348)
I am frequently 20 or more feet underground in a trench so being up in the air is kind of like a bonus. Instead of wondering if and when the earth will eat me my only worry is falling on it and that is not to bad in comparison.

Interesting what do you do?

chrisn 04-24-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 348)
I am frequently 20 or more feet underground in a trench so being up in the air is kind of like a bonus. Instead of wondering if and when the earth will eat me my only worry is falling on it and that is not to bad in comparison.

Now that got my attention:eek:

Schmidt & Co. 04-24-2012 06:12 PM

I don't have a fear of heights, just of unsafe ladder set-ups. I've found that for me, as long as I have safe placement of the ladder & plank, I'm all good. Solid, commercial grade ladders go a long way to being comfortable up there. Nothing worse than climbing up a home owner grade ladder and feeling that "bounce" as you go up. :eek:

mpminter 04-24-2012 09:39 PM

I'll do it when I have to, but I hate getting up on my 40'. That thing is easily my least favorite tool...

imported_Workaholic 04-24-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpminter (Post 371)
I'll do it when I have to, but I hate getting up on my 40'. That thing is easily my least favorite tool...

I hear ya on that. I hope I do not even have to pull my 40 out this year.

Chris 04-25-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Workaholic (Post 352)


Interesting what do you do?

I am a pipeline contractor and in many cases sewer lines get very very deep. It's a fun and interesting job but you put a lot of faith in soil.

Austin 04-25-2012 10:59 AM

I'll go up on a ladder, but have never put an actual foot measurement to it.

I get uncomfortable the less steady the ladder gets, so I guess I'm only limited to the quality of the ladder.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:24 PM.