DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Estimating

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 PM  
woodbridgepainters
Contractor

Default Estimating

Hey everyone,

I know in other painting forums it is frowned upon asking about estimating and the going rate so I'm not going to go into detail I'm just going to ask if theres any painters from Central New Jersey that would like to message me and share how they estimate and the approximate range of rates... I'm just starting back up and Im losing jobs left and right.... at first I was told by other contractors that Im too cheap but I'm not getting the jobs then the lower I go I'm still not getting contracts signed...I've tried different ways, I'm looking for the best way to estimate to make the most money without losing my shirt but not killing the customer on price and be in the middle..Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 AM  
imported_Workaholic

PM me and I might be able to refer you to a NJ contractor that does not like to hide behind disclosure.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 AM  
imported_Workaholic

Another thing to consider is why are you not able to seal the deal? Typically lowering your price is a race to the bottom that will end up with your number being no good in two years.

I would consider a few things such as your image. What is that image you are wanting to represent? Are you attracting the right type of customers that match your image? Where are you advertising? Do you have a website? Is the website professional looking? There are many thing I could add but these should at least give you a starting point.

How long have you been in business? What type of painting do you mainly do? Are you a referral based company or a advertisement driven company?

Sounds like the phone is ringing which is good so maybe the tweaks needed are small.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:34 PM  
woodbridgepainters
Contractor

Its not that I can't really seal the deal per say.... My prices are cheaper but customers always seem to find that guy or remembered that a friend of a family member does it on the side and he would be able to do it cheaper for for $xxxx..I'm willing to give a small "first time customer discount" but I can't work for free... Another thing I noticed but I recently fixed it was that I was overestimating my paint costs which drove the price higher...I was eestimating paint at $50/gal but didn't realize that through my commercial account at SW would be $36/gal max....Being that I just started the business back up in Nov. '12, I'm kinda doing both referrals and advertising, I do have a website www.woodbridgepainters.com , facebook page with about 109 likes, but the phone isn't ringing as much as i wish, but i guess i can't complain being that i just started back up a few months ago...I don't know, maybe it is image.. I haven't been able to afford t shirts yet to where i can wear some sort of "uniform" and also my work veh is a 2003 chev s-10 pick up with just those magnetic signs on each door and the tailgate. I mainly live in a middle class to upper class town...Houses ranging from $175k-$900k. But I'm mainly targeting the middle class to upper middle class people...$200k-450k people..I guess i just need to learn that I'm not going to get every job i walk on to estimate, I have to realize that its ok they'll be more..

Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 AM  
chrisn
paper hanger , painter

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbridgepainters View Post
Its not that I can't really seal the deal per say.... My prices are cheaper but customers always seem to find that guy or remembered that a friend of a family member does it on the side and he would be able to do it cheaper for for $xxxx..I'm willing to give a small "first time customer discount" but I can't work for free... Another thing I noticed but I recently fixed it was that I was overestimating my paint costs which drove the price higher...I was eestimating paint at $50/gal but didn't realize that through my commercial account at SW would be $36/gal max....Being that I just started the business back up in Nov. '12, I'm kinda doing both referrals and advertising, I do have a website www.woodbridgepainters.com , facebook page with about 109 likes, but the phone isn't ringing as much as i wish, but i guess i can't complain being that i just started back up a few months ago...I don't know, maybe it is image.. I haven't been able to afford t shirts yet to where i can wear some sort of "uniform" and also my work veh is a 2003 chev s-10 pick up with just those magnetic signs on each door and the tailgate. I mainly live in a middle class to upper class town...Houses ranging from $175k-$900k. But I'm mainly targeting the middle class to upper middle class people...$200k-450k people..I guess i just need to learn that I'm not going to get every job i walk on to estimate, I have to realize that its ok they'll be more..
If you get 2 out of 10 ,you are doing OK

Old 03-16-2013, 04:01 AM  
chrisn
paper hanger , painter

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just looked at your website and really would get id of this pic. Hardly proper cutting in technique working across your body like that

about-us-element49.jpg  

Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 PM  
woodbridgepainters
Contractor

Ok no prob that was just a stock pic that homestead supplied not any of mine

Quick Reply