DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Hiring the kid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 AM  
ewingpainting
Ewing Painting inc

Default Hiring the kid

my son just graduated this year. gave him a few weeks to figure out what he wants do. as jobs suck getting right now he finally told me I think I should work for you. which is what I was waiting for him to say. I wanted him to come to me, not me telling him. I am very hard my kids when it comes to working for me. probably to much. but I don't want them thinking they can slack and daddy will take care of him. the other is if he takes over the business it will be something he will work for. my son is very brite, smart and one hell of a sells dude. I don't want you to think he is a dope. it is more me than him.

any way I was wondering what you would start your kids at as far as wage. I would pay him 8 bucks when he did summer work. but now that this might turn into a actual job I was thinking 10 bucks. do you think that's to high to start. I usually give my guys a wage higher than the norm. I have a k.own reputation of paying my help good, but i also demand productivity and quality. what you say

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 AM  
imported_Workaholic

Graduated HS, or college?

I hope my kids stay out of painting but if they are interested in the trade then I will say ok. Also mine are still a bit young but no doubt in the future summers they will be earning some scratch by working with me.

Good for you Gabe on not wanting them to feel entitled, you have to work hard so everybody associated with you should as well.

If he can already prep well and has learned some other tricks along the way then 10. sounds fair to me if he knows next to nothing then run him at 8 for a month or few and then bump him up.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM  
chrisn
paper hanger , painter

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I paid mine $10 an hour when he worked for me

Old 07-19-2012, 03:57 PM  
Austin

I say pay him what you would pay your average worker. No more, no less.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:28 PM  
ewingpainting
Ewing Painting inc

well, I told him 9 and as he grows I will add to it. he was like why I only made 8 last time. he was pleased and that's how I would handle a new hire with no experience. I have him under my main guy and told him he is going train him. I can get overkill with him as I get can get demanding.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 PM  
ewingpainting
Ewing Painting inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Graduated HS, or college?

I hope my kids stay out of painting but if they are interested in the trade then I will say ok. Also mine are still a bit young but no doubt in the future summers they will be earning some scratch by working with me.

Good for you Gabe on not wanting them to feel entitled, you have to work hard so everybody associated with you should as well.

If he can already prep well and has learned some other tricks along the way then 10. sounds fair to me if he knows next to nothing then run him at 8 for a month or few and then bump him up.
Sean, I feel the same, I would rather see him do something else but he just been hanging out at the house since he graduated. so I finally had it and took him to work this morning. not in a angry way, just hey ya not doin nothing any way, let go learn a trade. I feel it is important that everyone learn a trade, as you can fall back on it. jmo

Old 07-19-2012, 09:34 PM  
imported_Workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting View Post
Sean, I feel the same, I would rather see him do something else but he just been hanging out at the house since he graduated. so I finally had it and took him to work this morning. not in a angry way, just hey ya not doin nothing any way, let go learn a trade. I feel it is important that everyone learn a trade, as you can fall back on it. jmo
If we had the thanks I would be thanking this post.

I hear you.

We want better for them but this is not that bad and if they show an interest then show them something that teaches them something and worse case it is something to fall back on.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 AM  
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting View Post
I'm a cook by trade. Spent a long time learning to do it and learned under many chefs.

I'm with you on that one. I'm going to push my kids to a similar end.

How's it going with hiring your son?

Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 AM  
ewingpainting
Ewing Painting inc

good, I've decided to let my foreman direct him. but I've told him to get off his azz 4 or 5 times. but for the most part he picking up and working good.

Quick Reply