DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > How do i know when my house needs painting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 11:27 AM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 123 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 30

That is what I thought. I want this to be as maintenance free as possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 AM  
ewingpainting
Ewing Painting inc

I think I would disagree with Sean on this one. the problem I see is enamels such as egg shell, semi gloss have a much harder shell than a flat, this results in less flexiblity than a flat finish. with less flexibility it will crack as the wood expands and contracts leaving potential areas for moisture intrusion. Enamels have just about no breathabilty meaning it won't allow moisture to escape if water were to get behind the coating. which can result to bubbling and peeling. if you ever seen water get trapped behind semi gloss in a bathroom from a leak it just hold the water back. I have seen 3' x 3' water bubble in a public restroom before. when wet the enamel become more flexible, when it drys out the coating becomes more brittle and can break easier.

[SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Gabe Ewing[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
[URL=" http://ewingpaintingblogandreviews.net/"]Ewing Painting Blog and Reviews[/URL]
[URL="http://www.ewingpainting.net/"]Ewing Painting inc[/URL]

Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 AM  
imported_Workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting View Post
I think I would disagree with Sean on this one. the problem I see is enamels such as egg shell, semi gloss have a much harder shell than a flat, this results in less flexiblity than a flat finish. with less flexibility it will crack as the wood expands and contracts leaving potential areas for moisture intrusion. Enamels have just about no breathabilty meaning it won't allow moisture to escape if water were to get behind the coating. which can result to bubbling and peeling. if you ever seen water get trapped behind semi gloss in a bathroom from a leak it just hold the water back. I have seen 3' x 3' water bubble in a public restroom before. when wet the enamel become more flexible, when it drys out the coating becomes more brittle and can break easier.
Interesting. Does this advice go for just stucco or are you painting your siding, fascia, ect ect ect. flat as well?

Here in the south a house painted in flat looks like *** pretty quickly and if you rub your hand over it the chalking is very evident.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:48 AM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 123 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Why you guys gotta disagree and make my life hard?

I won't be painting until Fall anyway so we have plenty of time to figure out what is best.

For arguments sake: My house is in the desert, It is 112 today and is pretty hot all summer. It gets below freezing in the winter but we do not get a lot of rain. On my eves I have a clay tile roof and good rain gutter on most of the house. Most of the paint will be on the under side of the eve and a 2x6 on the face.

Here is a pic of the house. Just look beyond the projects.

855.jpg   img_20120505_115930.jpg   1007001832.jpg  

Old 08-07-2012, 11:52 AM  
imported_Workaholic

lol Chris. I tip my hat to Gabe when it comes to Elastomeric finishes and stucco as I do not see stucco much in Bama so I trust his opinion but for what I do flat exterior finishes suck and cause a repaint quicker.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM  
ewingpainting
Ewing Painting inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Interesting. Does this advice go for just stucco or are you painting your siding, fascia, ect ect ect. flat as well?

Here in the south a house painted in flat looks like *** pretty quickly and if you rub your hand over it the chalking is very evident.
yes I would recommend flat finish for stucco as well. remember though a high quality flat finish is not a real flat, they are more a matte finish. also I have only painted 3 houses with siding within the last 5 years. most homes ate stucco as your homes are siding and brick.

[URL=" http://ewingpaintingblogandreviews.net/"]Ewing Painting Blog and Reviews[/URL]

Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 PM  
ewingpainting
Ewing Painting inc

Chris, I don't think Sean is wrong. this is most likely a demographic issue. we have a dry heat, as Sean deals with 50 to 80% humidity I can see where a eggshell would be more aproperate as siding is also well vented. I wouldnt have a issue painting siding in eggshell here in California, my concerns is more on fasca, eaves and stucco.

Quick Reply