DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Latex paint addative

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 PM  
TomtheElder

Default Latex paint addative

The problem is likely the paint. My wife bought Clark+Kensington for the walls and Royal Interiors for trim (both by Ace Hardware, semi-gloss). Both, but particularly the Royal Interiors, show very heavy brush marks using Purdy brushes. I have done a ton of painting and normally do not have this problem. Next time I will buy better paint. For this time, does anyone have an opinion about adding Floetrol to smooth out the paint? Any other additives or alternatives? Thanks.

Tom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 10:27 AM  
Austin

Do you have any pics?

A brush was used to apply? Did you try a roller?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM  
imported_Workaholic

I am unfamiliar with that brand of paint but yes extenders help a good bit with your problem and for me being in the south they are often needed in the summer.

Floetrol is alright, XIM Extender is better imo and sometimes just a little bit of water does the trick.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:17 PM  
billhead1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For smoothest finish on interior walls with latex paints, try the Purdy Nylox brush. It's the softest bristle Purdy makes for latex paints, therefore it leaves the fewest brush marks, but it will wear quickly on rough surfaces or with the new alkyd paints. I agree with Workaholic that XIM's extender is superior to Floetrol.

For exterior surfaces I typically use about 4 ounces/gallon of latex and 6 ounces/gallon for DTM (direct to metal) acrylic latex paints for substrate temperatures above 75 degrees F or when I get caught in direct sunlight before I can finish an exterior surface. It provides a longer "open window time" for properly spreading the paint, which makes it easier to maintain a wet edge.

If you are using one of the new alkyd paints, check with your paint supplier for an extender specially made for this type of paint. A specialty paint supplier is highly recommended over the big box stores for this type paint and extender.

If the paint has been previously used and left open while painting or stored for a while, it may be necessary to add an extender to compensate for evaporation of some of the active components in the paint (resins + moisture).

Always pour the estimated amount of paint you will need into a separate "cut can" for painting and never pour any remaining paint back in its original container after the job or you will contaminate it with dust, debris, and dried paint from the substrate or the cut can. Transfer any excess paint to a clean container and label it with the room, the brand, and the formulation information in case you should require more in the future.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:08 AM  
chrisn
paper hanger , painter

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Scrape View Post
For smoothest finish on interior walls with latex paints, try the Purdy Nylox brush. It's the softest bristle Purdy makes for latex paints, therefore it leaves the fewest brush marks, but it will wear quickly on rough surfaces or with the new alkyd paints. I agree with Workaholic that XIM's extender is superior to Floetrol.

For exterior surfaces I typically use about 4 ounces/gallon of latex and 6 ounces/gallon for DTM (direct to metal) acrylic latex paints for substrate temperatures above 75 degrees F or when I get caught in direct sunlight before I can finish an exterior surface. It provides a longer "open window time" for properly spreading the paint, which makes it easier to maintain a wet edge.

If you are using one of the new alkyd paints, check with your paint supplier for an extender specially made for this type of paint. A specialty paint supplier is highly recommended over the big box stores for this type paint and extender.

If the paint has been previously used and left open while painting or stored for a while, it may be necessary to add an extender to compensate for evaporation of some of the active components in the paint (resins + moisture).

Always pour the estimated amount of paint you will need into a separate "cut can" for painting and never pour any remaining paint back in its original container after the job or you will contaminate it with dust, debris, and dried paint from the substrate or the cut can. Transfer any excess paint to a clean container and label it with the room, the brand, and the formulation information in case you should require more in the future.

are you meaning waterborne?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM  
billhead1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like XIM's latex extender much better than Flood's Floetrol. I talked with the local Benjamin Moore manager at one location, who has many years of experience and her husband is a paint contractor. She stated that the Floetrol had tendency to yellow over time with lighter colors and also expressed her preference for XIM's latex extender.

Quick Reply