We recently found out our daughter has lead poisoning. It turns out it is from our windows. Our house was built in the late 1800s. There is lead paint on our windows, and most are peeling in certain spots.
The health department had told us to replace all 33 windows in our house. and until we do we need to keep our daughter away from the windows, and we are not allowed to open them. I asked them if we just painted over the lead paint (after cleaning it) if that would work. They said no. Because, in time the lead paint will still peel underneath the new paint. Once that happens it will start peeling the new paint away. Plus the inside of the windows have lead dust in them. We cant clean every corner of the window because some parts we cant get to. So even a little bit of lead dust can cause damage.
It is a big pain but replacing the windows is your BEST option. painting over will just delay the problem from occurring... This information is based on what the State Health Department had told us.