DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > New drywall, an expirement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 AM  
jeffnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Some small gouges in the drywall filled with the Dap, after the first coat and sanding. After the patches dried, I sanded them flush, and finish coated the wall (spray only, no back roll).
Wait a minute... if that's the same paint, how do you know if the lack of flash is due to the "non-flashing" Dap or the "self-priming" Valspar? I guess you're saying those spots had no flashing, as opposed to the very little flashing of the paint over other mudded areas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 AM  
Jmayspaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post

Wait a minute... if that's the same paint, how do you know if the lack of flash is due to the "non-flashing" Dap or the "self-priming" Valspar? I guess you're saying those spots had no flashing, as opposed to the very little flashing of the paint over other mudded areas?
Well, that's a good point. Both products (spackle and paint) would presumably help reduce flashing.

I have also tried the crack shot with BM Advance gloss without priming it. It did the job there too.

I used it to fix some defects on this stairwell trim, then put 2 coats of Advance on. No flashing at all.

image-2958796217.jpg  

Old 08-29-2013, 06:04 PM  
Jmayspaint

Well, after some not so stellar adhesion tests on the basement walls, I decided to use PVA primer on the main floor.. As long as I have been painting, I can't remember having used PVA before.

As before I sprayed and back rolled @4-6mil.
The PVA covered great. Didn't fuzz up the Sheetrock much at all. So far in pleased with it. And it cost about 1/3 as much as using the enamel for a first coat.

It will be interesting to see if it bonds to the joint compound any better that the Ultra paint&primer.

image-388225107.jpg   image-3381199112.jpg  

Old 09-02-2013, 10:21 AM  
Jmayspaint

The walls primed with PVA are doing better with early adhesion tests than the un primed walls did.
But after 2 weeks+ cure time, the non primed walls are passing a tape test also.
Overall, there is little difference in the primed and un primed walls. The un prime walls just took longer to cure.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:23 AM  
Jmayspaint

One coat PVA, one coat Ultra satin wall paint.

Both sprayed and back rolled.

image-4164162371.jpg  

Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 AM  
Jmayspaint

I said there was little difference in the finished product, a that is true. But there are some differences on the way.

1. The PVA didn't 'fuzz' the drywall as bad and was easier to sand.

2. The PVA cured way faster than the enamel, though both are showing good adhesion after curing.

3. The PVA is way cheaper than the enamel, so I this case it was cheaper to prime. However, this is a two coat spray/roll system. It would be different with roll only.

4. The two coat enamel walls seem to have slightly better sheen hold out. (A little better shine)

5. The PVA seemed to hide textural differences between mud an board a little better.

I would not hesitate to use the two coat enamel finish again if the situation called for it. It did bond well to the mud after curing (2weeks!)

Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 PM  
imported_Workaholic

I typically use ppg's 6-2 which is a pva for drywall priming.

Quick Reply