DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Paint Disposal in Your Area?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 02:00 PM  
Point65
You Want Me To Fix What?

Default Paint Disposal in Your Area?

I recently found out our trash guys will pick up old paint cans that still have some amounts of paint in them, as long as they're dry and filled with cat litter. So I bought a huge sack of litter and started mixing away on about a dozen cans (in various sizes) of old paint I kept in the garage. Some of it looked like I was making oatmeal (Mmm...Oatmeal), but sure enough, they picked it up the next trash pick-up day.

Do they have this program in other places? When I lived in Colorado our paint was supposed to be taken to a chemical disposal center, which we had in our city but it was a drive to get there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 02:29 PM  
Schmidt & Co.

In Chicago, we can dispose of it as long as its a dry, solid waste in the can. After all, when I scrape a house of peeling paint I just sweep, bag and place the paint chips in the trash.

Of course liquid paint is a hazardous material and must be disposed differently. Our city has drop-off points for hazardous household waste. They recycle what they can and dispose of the rest correctly. It's all supervised by the Illinois EPA, and they actually run it pretty cleanly.

Paul

Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 PM  
imported_Workaholic

Here it needs to be dried as well. If you have a decent amount of liquid paint donate to Habitat of Humanity.

Quick Reply