DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Painting kitchen cabinets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 AM  
regalpaints

I just moved into an apartment and i'm about to repaint the kitchen cabinets. However when I went to wipe them down with some soap and water before priming them, the old paint started to peel right off. Should I just not wash them and go right to priming and painting?

[URL=http://www.regalpaints.co.uk/floor-paint/]Floor Paint[/url]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 PM  
chrisn
paper hanger , painter

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by regalpaints View Post
I just moved into an apartment and i'm about to repaint the kitchen cabinets. However when I went to wipe them down with some soap and water before priming them, the old paint started to peel right off. Should I just not wash them and go right to priming and painting?
ahh, NO

Old 07-13-2012, 06:36 PM  
imported_Workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It seems to be very close to just a flat paint some cheap stain and a cheap clear coat.

That is probably what it is and for a non painter I give the product a thumbs up but I have done the same for a fraction of the cost.
As I said in a few posts somewhere on this product I made it look good but I could of achieved equal or better results with some paint, faux glaze and a nice clear. I also think this product greatly depends upon the selected color.

Strip the stuff off and start over you will be down x amount of labor and a couple hundred bucks.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 AM  
elaineturner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by regalpaints View Post
I think its better to wash them and remove the old paint completely

Old 08-20-2012, 06:27 AM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
As I said in a few posts somewhere on this product I made it look good but I could of achieved equal or better results with some paint, faux glaze and a nice clear. I also think this product greatly depends upon the selected color.

Strip the stuff off and start over you will be down x amount of labor and a couple hundred bucks.
They turned out ok for what it is. The other half loves them so i guess that is all that matters. The part I didn't like was that the clear coat if left thick at all it would dry white.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM  
imported_Workaholic

Quote:
They turned out ok for what it is. The other half loves them so i guess that is all that matters. The part I didn't like was that the clear coat if left thick at all it would dry white.
Let me know how long it holds up as that has been a concern in the back of my mind for awhile now.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

I am not impressed with that at all. I have a slide in and out trash can in a cabinet and it already has several chip and scratch marks from finger nails. I prepped them exactly how they say.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 PM  
imported_Workaholic

Quote:
I am not impressed with that at all. I have a slide in and out trash can in a cabinet and it already has several chip and scratch marks from finger nails. I prepped them exactly how they say.
I did it for a customer that bought the stuff cause his son worked at the HD and I gave no warranty as I never used it before and he passed on my other suggestions. Of course he has never called either but he could be cussing me out all over town for all I know.

If you are unsatisfied strip or sand it off and restain or repaint would be my suggestion.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:56 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

I would like to strip and re-stain them instead of painting. I will give it a year or so and see how they look and then hint to the little lady about stain and how much better the wood grain looks instead of paint.

Quick Reply