DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > painting new cedar trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 03:58 PM  
donald73d

Default painting new cedar trim

I am replacing the cheap pine finger jointed ext. trim on my house with cedar. I prime it before putting it up. I will be white. I was thinking a white oil base solid color stain, but some people say it will mildew. So maybe acrylic?

Above all else I do not want it to peel.

Near Albany NY.

In a clearing in the woods, it gets sunlight, but not tons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I don't particularly care for cedar due to the on-going maintenance required. You'd be further ahead in the long run in terms of cost and maintenance to install vinyl siding. Also, woodpeckers love cedar siding. I had them drill golf ball sized holes in cedar siding.
However, you are right on the money going with oil base solid color stain. Just add power washing the mildew to the on-going maintenance of the siding.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:26 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 409 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I agree with KOK, have you looked at the James Hardy products? A lot less issues.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:26 PM  
donald73d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
I don't particularly care for cedar due to the on-going maintenance required. You'd be further ahead in the long run in terms of cost and maintenance to install vinyl siding. Also, woodpeckers love cedar siding. I had them drill golf ball sized holes in cedar siding.
However, you are right on the money going with oil base solid color stain. Just add power washing the mildew to the on-going maintenance of the siding.
Woodpeckers go where bugs are. My brother had woodpeckers go through vinyl siding to get to bugs behind the vinyl siding.

Cedar has natural oils that prevent it from rotting and I would not think bugs would like the natural oil either. So not sure I agree with you about cedar and woodpeckers. Again you could have woodpeckers go through cedar siding or trim to get to bugs in the sheathing.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:21 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 319 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Woodpeckers peck for 3 reasons Food, Drumming and Nesting. Most of the time when they are rapping on a house it’s the drumming and mostly in the springtime. It’s part of their mating and they look for something that has a hollow sound and is easy to get a grip on. If you see them making a large hole it’s for a nest.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:07 PM  
DFBonnett

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

OP,
Cedar is known for extractive bleeding. In your place I'd prime with a stain suppressing oil based primer such as Cover Stain then top coat with a quality acrylic exterior paint in the finish of your choice.
FWIW
YMMV

Quick Reply