DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > painting over rust

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 10:36 AM  
sam49

Default painting over rust

I have a corrugated metal shed that is in pretty bad shape. I think I need to remove the rust before I paint it. What product should I use? Can I just paint over the rust? Is there a rust specific paint?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 99 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Sam, If you paint over rust, you will continue to have the rust. Take a wire wheel and eliminate as much rust as possible. Once most of the rust has been eliminated, coat the metal with a rust jelly, wait the appropriate amount of time, and rinse off. Let it dry completely, then use a good metal primer, then finally a top coat of the paint of your choice.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:21 PM  
Austin

How much rust?

Is is covered or is it just a few spots?

Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM  
billhead1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can also use Jasco Rust Converter, available from Home Depot - about $15/gallon, and also available in quart bottles at Lowes. This material is actually phosphoric acid, which is not as dangerous as muriatic acid, but still requires proper personal protective equipment and neutralization prior to disposal if you plan to discard any remaining liquid in the container. It can be neutralized sufficiently with baking soda by dropping the pH below 9, but if you have much liquid remaining, it may take a couple of boxes before the pH drops below 9. Follow the surface preparation recommendations as stated above by wire brushing to remove as much rust as possible before applying. The main thing is to remove the "scabs". These are actually called tubercules and underneath each tubercule is an active iron oxide pit. Inside an active pit is a powdery iron oxide. Try to clean the pit until the metal inside the pit is shiny. This removes the active iron oxide, which is causing the pitting, and exposes the inactive iron oxide, which should be treated with the rust converter.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 PM  
imported_Workaholic

Welcome to the forum S&S.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:15 PM  
Schmidt & Co.

Another vote for rust converter. As S&S said, you still need to prep it properly and remove as much of the rust as possible before priming.

Paul

Quick Reply