DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Painting Forum (
-   -   painting recessed wood paneling (

nicholsca 09-04-2013 08:06 PM

painting recessed wood paneling
So I am wanting to paint over the cheap recessed wood paneling but I want it to be a smooth finished product. What is the best option to fill in these narrow recesses on the paneling so that it is more like a smooth flat wall.

Any advice would help. Thank you

imported_Workaholic 09-04-2013 08:32 PM

I would scuff sand the paneling and then mud or tape and mud the grooves depending upon depth. Sometimes with a job like this it is easier to put drywall in. Got a pic?

nicholsca 09-04-2013 09:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
its the standard wood paneling from the 70's. I'd much rather put up drywall but there are built in shelves and cabinets and really don't want to tear them out and not be able to get them back in. I'm attempting to fill in the recess with wood putty and then sand them down. I was just curious if there was an easier way to do it.

Attachment 155

Jmayspaint 09-05-2013 12:57 PM

Some heavy spackel would probably be easier than wood filler. I like the Dap Crack Shot.

nicholsca 09-05-2013 09:29 PM

The spackel worked like a charm. What took me three hours to do yesterday using wood putty took me a half an hour tonight. thanks so much!!

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:45 AM.