DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Painting Treated Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 105 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default Painting Treated Lumber

I just built a deck and the treated lumber was wet.
When you pound a nail into it, you almost get splattered w/water. The boards weighed 2-3x times what you would expect. I just hope the deck doesn't pull itself apart when it dries.

Now I know I have to let them dry and a couple of hot sunny days in a row would do the trick but, is there any specified amount of time I have to wait to prime and paint the treated wood?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello KOK:
I think the companies usually recommend waiting 6 weeks.
Glenn

Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 PM  
mikemeier

I would wait closer to six months until all of the moisture is out. The tint from the chemicals bleed out about that long and will probably show through your paint.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:47 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

I'm going for it this Monday. Monday is the last day of a no rain streak. I've tried to keep the deck dry since the day I built it but, it got rained on for 3 1/2 days non-stop by the tail storm of Ike. It's been about 15-20 days now, without rain. I'm at least going to get primer coats on it, I gotta start wrapping up loose ends before winter. I guess this is the downside of having a dozen or so projects going all at the same time.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:47 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You're going to be fine.
Treated wood never releases all of it's chemicals, that's how it lasts! Paint it after a month in dry, hot weather but wait longer in cooler temps. Nearly every treated wood manufacturer and many paint companies will give you different numbers but when a deck sits in the sun in warm weather, it dries much quicker than those recommended times.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 10-01-2008, 06:20 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the vote of confidence. However, I pushed the envelope of dry a little too much. I applied the first coat (Kilz Premium) and waited about 2hrs. before applying the second coat. About 4 hours later, it rained overnight and into the next 2 days. It doesn't appear to be running off or feels soft, like I expected. It is acutally repelling and/or holding water. Granted that the application was not ideal but, I think/hope the second coat had enough time to cure properly. As far as Mfg. recommendation, everyone will tell you something different. If figure, at the most I painted 3 sides of a board, leaving at least one side to let the wood breath. I just hope the unfinished side won't allow moisture to wick up and push the paint off the deck surface from the inside out. I'll hit it w/two coats of outdoor paint at the end of the next dry spell and hope for the best.

Quick Reply