DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Polyurethane an old oak floor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 PM  
illanrob

Default Polyurethane an old oak floor

I polyurethaned a large portion of the oak floor, built 1965, 10 years ago. I may have used a dark shade of Nimwax polyurethane, but I can not recall.

I only prepared the floor then with a degreaser/dewaxer. Some areas were not poly since they were under a large rug. The home had 100% carpeting 25 years ago. The rug 200 sqft is now gone. The poly areas are shinny compared to the original oak. The poly painted floor looks OK, including the heavily used hallway. I used some wood alcohol to clean some poly floor and original areas and some of the color came off, then the poly flaked off in some small areas away the walking path

The other half of home has carpeting which I intend to remove. Then polyurethane the remainder of the floor.

How should I resurface the floor? Is it OK to polyurethane in peices or has to be all at one time?

Thanks for your time,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 AM  
jastin1234
Banned

Polyurethane is a finish that is applied to wood flooring to protect it. However, after several years, polyurethane will break down and require that you take it off of the wood in order to refinish it. Sanding and refinishing your old wood floors can make them look like new again. However, you can not do that until the polyurethane comes off.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If it is a real oak flooring and not a laminate, sand the entire floor, including what is polyurethaned, re-stain and re-poly the entire floor for a covering that will last for years to come.

Quick Reply