DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Sanding new paint to correct plaster underneath?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 AM  
DeniseC

Default Sanding new paint to correct plaster underneath?

I had a bedroom painted 3 days ago. There was a damaged part on the existing paint so the person who painted the room covered it with "mud" as he called it. Something looking like plaster. It was thick and had little holes in it (like a texture) etc. I asked if he would sand it down to make it even and smooth he said yes. But now the wall is painted over it w/o sanding. You can tell that part is thicker when you walk in the room. I hate patching paint on the walls. How can I make this right? Is it possible to sand it with 3 day old paint on it? If I did that and painted that part over would it look different than the rest of the wall? Should I paint the whole wall? (Paint used is a water based sherwin williams).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 04:21 AM  
chrisn
paper hanger , painter

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sand it down to you're liking,clean the dust off, and apply 3 coats of finish, letting each dry well first ( if it was flat paint) If it was not, you will need to prime the repair and paint the whole wall again

Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 AM  
imported_Workaholic

I agree with Chris. Sand it down to satisfaction, if it is not flat paint prime spot with latex primer, and two coats of topcoat, using the previous application method. More than likely depending upon lighting and location of area you will have to repaint the wall but it could blend in. If it is flat then use that as primer for a better chance of blend.

If you hired a professional then call him back to handle it.

Quick Reply