DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > solid color deck stain

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 08:15 PM  
donald73d

Default solid color deck stain

Does anyone get solid color deck stain to last? I read reviews on HomeDepot for Behr and few have luck. And on Lowes for Cabot and also few have luck. Even some reader reviews on Consumer Reports say few have luck.

Maybe strip next spring and go with semi transparent.

My current deck is a redwood color of quality Behr solid color deck stain and its flaking and peeling..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 11:13 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 789 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Stains and paints or formulated to fit the state laws on VOC. so stains that work in WA. may not work in NY.
http://www.deckstainhelp.com/deck-stains/

The best I used was latex paint, after selling a house, the buyer asked me to stain the deck, they brought me some exterior house paint that said right on "not for horizontal surfaces". I visited the house five years later, the deck still looked good??

Old 10-19-2013, 07:48 AM  
DFBonnett

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The new solid color deck stains are water based acrylic latex and are very durable, but careful surface preparation is critical to success. On well weathered areas you can power wash and then go directly to product application following package directions. In protected areas where an oil based product was used previously and the surface is not well weathered, the surface prep required for good adhesion is more complicated. I usually power wash then prime the horizontal surfaces in those areas with an aggressive exterior rated oil based primer then follow up with the solid stain. Ben Moore Arborcoat is my preference. These methods have served me well and I have yet to have a call back.
FWIW
YMMV

Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No way would I suggest using a solid stain on a deck surface.
Works fine for the railing, just not going to hold up on the decking.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:03 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 379 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 153

The various state VOC regs play hell with paint quality. California sucks because we no longer have true oil-based paints ... As for decks, preparation is crucial, especially in cold climates like NY.

Check our Flood stains ... http://www.flood.com/index.do

You might also look at SW Deckscapes: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/stain-colors/exterior-stains/deckscapes-exterior-acrylic-solid-color-deck-stain/

They do very well in harsher climates. Fact is, in harsh areas, you are looking at deck maintenance every two years anyway ...

Quick Reply