DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Will this color sell?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 06:38 AM  
JoJoBeans

Default Will this color sell?

Hello,

I am putting my house on the market in about a month. Currently, my living room is a rich yellow/gold color. It works great with the green in my plants and the white trim and wooden blinds. My realtor and the stager both say it is fine to leave it this color. I wanted to get as many opinions as possible to see if I should leave it or repaint! I do not want to give a paint allowance, so if it will turn off buyers, I'd rather paint it now.

Thanks,
Joanna

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 AM  
SPISurfer

The paint color is fine. Price your house right and it will sell.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 AM  
Jason2009

Hey JoJoBeans,

I guess you have heard that a paint job can do wonders
While a simple paint job does not improve your home value, it does improve your home image, and thus its marketability. This combined with the fact that buying a home is also an emotional move it makes sense to look for the right colour.
I personally love the yellow colour for the walls and the white colour for the trims. However, the most important thing is to know what the best living room colour is in your area. Since real estate is very local, it varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. Thus, to determine the best colour for your living room, I suggest that you visit renovated homes or new build homes in your area (especially the showrooms). The builders and professional renovators understand that buyers are moved emotionally and therefore use the best colours in that area combined with other inexpensive decorations to improve the marketability of their property.

Best of Luck to you

Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM  
biscuitcraft

I love the color JoJobeans it looks very crisp and clean with the trim ,I wouldnt change a thing . Good luck with your sell !!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM  
anna_maria

the color it's very fine....don't change anything...the buyers woud love it too

Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 AM  
Rocky_11

I personally don't like it and would emmidiately think I need to paint these walls when I buy the home. I am just one person and the people above me seem to not mind it so maybe I am wrong. It is sucha bold color, if it was me - I would repaint it

Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM  
cheesefood
Ask me bout homebrewtalk.

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to cheesefood

Funny...I watched a lot of those shows on the DIY channel where they expect us to believe that a buyer will pay $10k more for a house with a fresh coat of paint. In my experience, your buyers will probably re-paint in a year to make the house theirs. What they want to see is a house that is move-in ready with no big stains or damage.

Buyer A might look at it and say "It'll clash terribly with my furniture. If I buy this house I'll have to paint it immediately." Buyer B might say "It matches perfectly with my stuff and I can let it sit for a year while I decide what I want to do."

Paint, new carpet, and fancy accents are "delighters" but rarely are they deal makers or breakers. Someone like me looks at the house's bones. I bought a house in terrible condition with a bad paint job because I knew we'd change it. Some people will look at it differently, but the real factors in buying a home are: school district, beds and baths, structure, landscape, neighborhood, and then the delighters like closet organizers, great colors, fancy lighting. If it's something that can be easily changed it will and your buyers won't pay a premium for it.

The funny thing is that on those DIY shows where they're helping someone buy a home, the house picked is often far from being staged or having perfect colors or being in pristine condition.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 AM  
fuji0030

Paint, new carpet, and adorned accents are "delighters" but rarely are they accord makers or breakers. Someone like me looks at the house's bones. I bought a abode in abhorrent action with a bad acrylic job because I knew we'd change it. Some humans will attending at it differently, but the absolute factors in affairs a home are: academy district, beds and baths, structure, landscape, neighborhood, and again the delighters like closet organizers, abundant colors, adorned lighting. If it's something that can be calmly afflicted it will and your buyers will not pay a exceptional for it.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:35 AM  
austinpieterson

Default Colors

Hi JoJoBeans,
Your home color looks fabulous. I and as well as other members of this forums got impressed as well. I don't think there is simply any need to repaint. Why simply to waste money, energy and time.

Regards
Austin

Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 AM  
rob5oz

i love the color and and everyone has different taste some will like it and so will say this room needs painting. i have my house on the market now also and i painted my kitchen to freshen it up otherwise i am not painting for someone else. they will want to paint what they want. i love that color and good luck

Quick Reply