DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Will this color sell?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 04:20 PM  
intern.arch

I think the color is fine and looks good with the plants and furniture. I know you're not asking, but I would box up and store about half or more of your decrative stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 10:49 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with the previous post that the buyer is going to realize that he can paint the walls a different colour him/her self for the cost of a few gallons of paint, which is nothing compared to the price of the house.

But, I'm seeing real plants on wood that has a yellow or reddish or brown colour to it, all of which suggest that wood furniture in front of the window is made of wood that contains a lot of tannin. Those plants are potted in soil, and if you overwater those plants and the water leaks onto the wood, you're gonna wreck that furniture.

That's cuz any water that percolates through the soil in the pot will contain a lot of iron ions from the soil. And, when iron ion rich water comes in contact with tannic acid in wood, the result is iron tannate, or iron gall INK. Iron gall ink was commonly used in the middle ages and is a very permanent ink that you won't be able to remove from the wood.

Hopefully, there is a thick coating of varnish over that furniture that will protect the wood from coming into contact with any water that drips out of the potted plants.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 AM  
kschmandt

Looks great to me. I have flipped several houses and had good success with some bolder colors as long as they fit.

Kris
RestorationJournal.com

Old 07-22-2009, 11:37 AM  
jvmartija

I do really like her house in style.. Just sell it in a price that is right for the style of the house.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:15 AM  
jjm

Send a message via Skype™ to jjm

I think the color is fine....and a keeper for selling purposes. Cool fireplace tile.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 PM  
kwmainer

Default I love the color

Hi... while it's not a color I would choose for my LR, I DO like the look you've created. It's very classy but fresh.

I will tell you something though. When my DH and I bought our house, the seller had gone through and painted EVERY ROOM with basic, cheap, flat white paint. There was paint slops on the floor, ceilings, trims, cabinets and tile. EVERY ROOM. This stuff peels in spots, shows brush strokes and patches. It's Nasty Cheap!

It's been 8 years now. And I STILL have rooms (the baths) that I haven't painted yet. I've had to strip trim or replace it. One room I had to sand this stuff off the walls (paint builtup!). Then paint it all. And yes, they painted the solid mahogany front door with this cheap paint, and I am looking to replace or strip the DOOR. Arrggg.

I wish to heck the previous owner had NOT slapped that garbage all over the walls. Don't I just! I would much, MUCH rather not having to strip or replace everything. I could live with the well done yellow walls. Or at worst, It would be much easier to paint or paper over.

If I ever look at another house, and see that the seller has slapped paint all over it... I will NOT buy it. I don't want the head ache of undoing someone else's slap-dash job.

<sigh> Thank you for listening to my rant.... lol.

Blessings on your effort to sell your house.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 PM  
MsFixIt

I like the color!! Looks great!! I don't know if it will sell though. I always thought you were supposed to paint it a neutral color if you were selling.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:24 AM  
jyoti

Your house color is very nice. I think you should not change it. it will sourly sell.

Good Luck
Thanks

[URL=http://www.panelwarehouse.com]Display Stands[/URL]

Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM  
chaluska
________

as a new home buyer myself, that color would be a turn off. yellow/golds are a thing of preferrence, i would have went with a more neutral tan/sand/white mix color. it would probably compliment the fireplace alot more.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM  
klfconstruction
3rd generation, builder

The room looks clean and nice, just make sure you have a nice flow from room to room. I've bought and sold over 40 homes as a remodeler in Kansas City, from my experience, most people cannot imagine what the house would look like with thier stuff in it, especially when you have personized it. Remove family pictures, and items that are personal. Good luck, the nice homes are selling. kevin_frye | overland park, KS 66207

Quick Reply