DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > first home...wood paneling...i need help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 AM  
Christian

Default first home...wood paneling...i need help!!

Hi everyone, I need some help!!

I just bought my first house. The master bedroom (upstairs of a bungalow style home) is done in wood paneling. The problem is, 2 of the walls are done with cheap (flat with the grooves) type paneling, and 2 walls are done with real wood. The bottom half of the real wood walls have wider (1/2" or so) and deeper (3/8" maybe) grooves. The top of the real wood wall is done with wood "planks" (I'm sorry for my bad description here) that sort of resemble flattened half circles. about the shape of "(" put up vertically next to each other...if that makes any sense to anyone out there...haha.

Being on a budget (who isn't), I need to know what I could do with this room. If it was all cheap wood paneling, I'd just paint it all and be done with it (the grooves don't really bother me). I also thought of painting the cheap stuff and leaving the real wood...but then I wouldn't know how to decorate. What paint color could I use on the fake panel walls that would go with the real wood? (the carpet is a light cream neutral color). Or would it be feasible to paint the real stuff too...even though the texture would be different than the other walls...the color would match. Or maybe paint them a different color like an accent wall? Or would painting the different paneling designs on the same wall look stupid? Or maybe tear off the real wood and drywall those 2 walls but leave the paneling on the other walls (they're much larger, so that's where the cost of drywalling the whole room will really add up).

If anyone has any ideas that could help me with my situation...I'd really appreciate it!! I'm open to anything at this point...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Chrisitian:
I would paint all the panneling for now. Then, after the initial shock of home purchasing wears off and the budget looks a little better, you could consider drywall wherever the paneling doesn't look good to you.
I like accent walls in painted rooms; they make the room look bigger and give more options for decorating.
Glenn

Old 03-25-2008, 11:26 AM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You could always take cheap paneling off. there will be spackling or dry wall behind it. it probably needs some patching but i doubt it isnt anything a $12 5 gallon bucket of spackling cant fix. You could also wall paper the upper half there is very nice wall paper out these days that look like faux finishes. i dont know if you can wall paper over paneling maybe someone else can answer that.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:54 PM  
learning

I recently removed cheap wood paneling from drywall. Three issues: (a) nails cause a disproportionate amount of damage to the drywall; (b) constrution adhesive; (c) mold. The nail damage was easy enough to repair, but be careful when you remove the paneling or you'll make "L" shaped holes in the walls. I was never able to entirely remove the constrution adhesive. I sanded it as best as I could, added a thin spackle "screen" and primed. Pretty good result. Had to use bleach on the walls and that helped-but beware that there could be mold. Keep the kids and animals away.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 AM  
Christian

Thanks for the info everyone.

If I paint all of the paneling, my gf and I were thinking of painting the room a light, calm blue/grey. If I did the wood wall (with the 2 different patterns/textures) in a darker blue to match the stripes on her comforter and act like an accent wall...would that look good?

I know it is difficult without seeing the wall...but my main concern is the 2 different types of paneling (on the top and bottom of the wall). Will it look strange or tacky if I paint it?

Thanks for all of your opinions everyone.

Christian

Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Paint isn't so expensive that you can't go back and change it.. Try painting it the way you want to, if it doesn't look right...

She'll let you know

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 AM  
Christian

OK everyone...I'm closing on my new house on Friday, and I've started planning/budgeting my master bedroom remodel. I've decided to paint all the paneling instead of replacing it (for now at least), and I want to prime with Kilz primer (I'm told that's the best??).

They have original Kilz (oil based), and Kilz II (latex, water based, $25 more for the bucket). does it matter which one I use? (other than 1 needs more than soap and water to clean up). Will 1 cover the paneling better than the other? Also, should I just clean up and sand before priming? Any other steps or things to look out for?

thanks everyone. this site is a wealth of information.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:13 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Kilz II is much easier to use. I have used it on wood paneling and had excellent results, good coverage, good bonding, etc.. One room should take less than one gallon. $25.00 should buy a gallon of Kilz II just about anywhere.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 04-01-2008, 12:57 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Christian:
I like to do things more efficiently and less labor intensive. (Now there are some who would call that, 'being lazy' but I call it working smarter. In your case; rather than sanding all that panneling, I would use liquid sandpaper which softens the present pain and makes it more bodable to the new paint. And its a whole lot easier.
Glenn

Old 04-04-2008, 10:15 AM  
Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Hey Christian:
I like to do things more efficiently and less labor intensive. (Now there are some who would call that, 'being lazy' but I call it working smarter. In your case; rather than sanding all that panneling, I would use liquid sandpaper which softens the present pain and makes it more bodable to the new paint. And its a whole lot easier.
Glenn
what kind of "liquid sandpaper"? like a deglosser? could anyone give me like a brand name or a product to look for?

also, can anyone recommend what to use to clean the walls? i'm not sure what kind of degreaser or cleaner would work the best.

i'm going to prime with kilz II and then paint. can anyone recommend a type of brush to cut in on the paneling and/or a type or roller to use?

thanks for the info everyone.

christian

Quick Reply