DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > first home...wood paneling...i need help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 11:02 AM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Killz 11 only costs $13 in my area and it takes 3 coats to fully cover paneling. The guy i work for flipping houses for coats everything in killz and leaves it as a finished color. 2 coats and your paint should give a good finish. I would get a thick roller and push really hard to get in the seams. i used a brush some times but it just takes too long even just painting the seams and rolling the rest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2009, 01:27 PM  
dgpnla

Would some of u be so kind as to send me photos of painted paneling (w/out grooves filled)? For some reason, I can't view any of the photos in "attachments" here. My email address is perry26@cox.net. I'm seriously considering painting my den paneling using Kilz paint. Thank you so much!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:16 AM  
svey

In my basement, I've sanded the panel s with a random orbit sander (80 grit), washed everything down with TSP solution, rinsing well, taped all the grove with fiberglass drywall tape. I've applied joint compound with drywall knive (6 inches over the tape), after the mud dried, I've scraped the high spot. I then rolled more drywall mud on the wall (thinned to whip cream consistency), working 2 feet section, knocking down texture with wide knive. 2 coats with the roller gave me nice wall ready for primer and paint. It has been 4 years and everything is still looking ok.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:10 AM  
Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpnla View Post
Would some of u be so kind as to send me photos of painted paneling (w/out grooves filled)? For some reason, I can't view any of the photos in "attachments" here. My email address is perry26@cox.net. I'm seriously considering painting my den paneling using Kilz paint. Thank you so much!
I don't have any pictures handy but the job is done and it looks pretty darn good for the time/money spent. I'd go for it.

If I take some pictures soon I will email them to you.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:42 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've never used KILZ II, so I can't comment on the stuff.

However, if the objective here is to paint over glossy panelling only so that it can be stomached until it can be replaced, then I'm wondering if a better game plan wouldn't be to:

Prime it with Zinsser's Bullseye 123 latex primer, and then paint over that. Zinsser's boasts that their Bullseye 123 will stick to smooth surfaces like glazed ceramic wall tile, high gloss polyurethane, galvanized sheet metal and other smooth materials. I've never painted over a smoother surface with Bullseye 123, as I typically use it only as a primer over bare plaster or bare drywall.

However, it seems to me if we're using Liquid sandpaper to dull the gloss of the existing substrate, whether a more effective gameplan would be to use a primer that will stick well to that glossy substrate (like 123) and then topcoat over the 123.

I really don't know if this is a good idea or a bad idea. I'm just saying it makes some kinda horse sense to me.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 AM  
Christian

The Kilz worked great.

I actually didn't sand or do hardly any prep work either. The paneling wasn't very glossy to begin with.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:01 PM  
dakuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
I don't have any pictures handy but the job is done and it looks pretty darn good for the time/money spent. I'd go for it.

If I take some pictures soon I will email them to you.
I would like to see the pictures as well. Please post them in the thread.

I thought about doing that when I bought my house. I wound up tearing down the paneling and putting up new walls and patching those that I could. There was paneling in almost every room in the house.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 PM  
Christian

I will take some pictures tonight and post them.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:51 PM  
Albert_23

Any updates on the photos? I'm really interested in seeing this.

Window [URL="http://www.cwproducts.com.au/Roller-Shutters.aspx?pid=7"]Roller Shutters[/URL] for a Secure Home

Old 10-31-2010, 05:45 PM  
donnamabob

Drywall would be ideal, but if you can't afford it then you can't afford it. My parents had a similar situation in their family room - so what they did was paint the paneling white and then "antique" it by brushing on some stain. This achieved sort of a white washed look. They then took this a step further and gave it an old farm house look by lining the corners with some old beat up wood boards that they stained to a darker finish. They even bought some raud iron (sp?) pieces to "attach" the boards to each other with. The entire project ended up costing under $200 - and now that they have the money to drywall the room, they're choosing not to because of all of the compliments they've received on the "country charm" of the home.

Quick Reply