DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > Ideas needed for this built in cubby area please

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 03:38 PM  
DKap77

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ideas needed for this built in cubby area please

I have a quad level house. This is the front room on the main level. This is going to be our dining room. I will be laying some Pergo xp, new trim, painting, new lighting, and also painting that front door and replacing the hardware.

Before I lay the floor I have to figure out what to do with that cubby area. I think at one time it was a closet and one of the previous owners made it into an entertainment center... When I had my home inspection my inspector said that there was not any attic access to the other side of my house and he said that he would put one in there. So, I will need to make an attic access as well.

So, im looking for some recommendations on what to do with the space. Do I just make it a plain old closet, gut it put shelve in and some sort of doors? Or should I try to make some sort of open bench/storage area? Then how do I go about the attic access hole needed? I'm up for anything, so please bring any and all ideas!

20140513_172106.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 409 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 132

First off... to House Repair Talk!

If you don't need the storage, I'd think about tearing out the front and the side facing the front door and open up floor space. Otherwise, I'd make a closet out of it with one side shelves and one side a coat rack.

...just my and worth every penny it cost...

Old 05-13-2014, 04:34 PM  
DKap77

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
First off... to House Repair Talk!

If you don't need the storage, I'd think about tearing out the front and the side facing the front door and open up floor space. Otherwise, I'd make a closet out of it with one side shelves and one side a coat rack.

...just my and worth every penny it cost...
Thanks!

The storage would be nice, the only reason I wouldn't completely tear it out would be that I need to make an attic access hole in the ceiling. And having the access out in plain site would not look very appealing.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:47 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 791 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

Yup ugle, probibly looked better on paper.
We can see stairs on the right, is there a landing there and then the stairs come back over this cubby?
Attic spaces that are over a hundred sq ft should have an access. They are ussually in a closet, so when you climb up there you get insulation all over things in the closet. When that dosn't work you find it in a bedroom wall. Some homeowners don't like the kids having access to it so they close it up. You want to know what you are cutting into before you cut and sometimes it's a challenge to find the right spot before the drywall goes in, so finding the right spot now may be tricky.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:54 PM  
DKap77

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Yup ugle, probibly looked better on paper.
We can see stairs on the right, is there a landing there and then the stairs come back over this cubby?
No, up stairs is the hallway with 2 bedrooms on one side and a bathroom and bedroom on the other.. There is attic access to that part of the house over those rooms. The home inspector said that there should be an access to the other side. If there ever was one in the past, it makes the most sense that it was there and that used to be a closet.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:06 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Pull the drywall out of the ceiling in the cubby, there should be good evidence of what was there and may still be there.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:24 PM  
DKap77

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Pull the drywall out of the ceiling in the cubby, there should be good evidence of what was there and may still be there.
Yeah, I will do that tomorrow. Looking at the pitch of the roof from the outside, im not sure how much space will be up there to move around. At the very least, I would like check for insulation up there and if none or not enough add more.

At any rate, I either make it a closet with doors the size it is now, bring it in some from the door side, make it into some sort of open seating storage area, or some other idea..

Old 05-13-2014, 05:33 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

I think you will find that it was a 28" deep closet or it was a wall to allow a hallway from the door. If the hall upstairs run beside the attic, you could maybe just put a small door into the attic from there.

Last edited by nealtw; 05-13-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:38 PM  
DKap77

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Up the stairs you see goes straight back to the end of the house. So it doesn't meet up anywhere with the other sides attic. Are you suggesting I just make it into a closet then?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:05 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Usage determines storage. What will you store there and how often will it be used?

Quick Reply