DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > Ideas needed for this built in cubby area please

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 837 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 1453

I would remove that ceiling and see if there is anything there to help make a plan. You may find an access there and maybe the framing for the top of the closet that was there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 11:24 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 148 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 200

If you are going to make the room into a dining room, then maybe that space can be a sideboard or a china closet. If the finish is handsome enough, you may not need doors...or maybe doors on the lower half.

The attic access situation is another story. Just because the home inspector suggested that spot, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Do you really want a hatch in the living space (especially a dining room)? Can you post a pic of the outside of your house? I can only assume that the second floor is half the size of the first and that you have a small attic over the lower half. You said the stairs don't meet the attic wall at the top, but something does. A bedroom maybe. You can access the attic through a hatch in the wall. That's a lot easier than hoisting things from the floor below-if you are thinking of using it for storage. But is access really necessary? Once you check the space for proper insulation / ventilation, you might just want to seal it up.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:26 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Default Welcome

This is what we northeasterners call a split level. It has a lower floor under those stairs to the right. The attic access will not be over that closet space, it will be to low of an access to where the roof enters the attic. The usual spot for the access is the ceiling where the stairs meet . Usually there is no slope to the stair ceiling , and there is a flat wall area behind you in the ceiling as you walk up the stairs to the bedrooms. That is the best spot for the access, but you will need a small ladder to get in there.

I would remove the built in, and go from there, plans always change.

Just My
Made in the

slownsteady Likes This 
Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 AM  
woodchuck

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

The carport or garage is less unsightly place for fold down stairs with a lock on it. The space looks ideal for mud room storage if that's the family's main entrance way. Place to leave shoes jackets etc. Cover it with louvered doors or not.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:54 AM  
beachguy005

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts

If you absolutely have to have that as an access area, I would totally reframe it as a closet. I would have the door facing the entry door. I would also shrink the depth and width, pushing it in to increase the open area between the two doors. Sheetrock the wall facing the living area.
Frankly, even if you don't need it as an access point I would do that anyway, especially given the size and bulk of what's there now. I'm also curious about the plug arrangement. It looks like they used a pigtail plugged into the lower outlet to feed the upper one. Definitely a no no.

Last edited by beachguy005; 05-15-2014 at 05:04 AM.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:01 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

They probably had a TV on the upper shelf (not an excuse for bad wiring, just an observation).

Old 05-17-2014, 10:06 PM  
DKap77

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tore it all out. It was definitely a closet before.. It was all dry walled above to the ceiling with no hint of their ever being an attic access there.. I may cut an access hole to get up there so its easier to add lighting... Besides that one light in the pic there is no other lighting.. There is just an outlet tied to a switch, where they probably just used some kind of lamp...

Right now im leaning towards putting in a bar area. Put in a base cabinet/counter top, a built in wine fridge, 2 small hanging cabinets and shelving with some stacked brick look tile...

Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Since you will be doing ceiling repairs anyway, at least a temp access there would be good, once you get up there you will have better idea where you can put a perminent one.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:28 AM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Right now im leaning towards putting in a bar area. Put in a base cabinet/counter top, a built in wine fridge, 2 small hanging cabinets and shelving with some stacked brick look tile...
Sounds like a good plan. But I think inspectorD nailed it earlier in the thread; you probably won't have any headroom if you try to access the attic at that spot.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:37 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
Sounds like a good plan. But I think inspectorD nailed it earlier in the thread; you probably won't have any headroom if you try to access the attic at that spot.
That depends on the pitch of the roof.

Quick Reply