DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > Kitchen cabinets vs hardwood floor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 12:35 PM  
emky

Default Kitchen cabinets vs hardwood floor

Hello all, this is my first time posting so I hope I am in the right spot! ; )

We are having a home built for us and the process will begin in June, so in the meantime I am preparing all the details as far as color, style, etc. I am pretty easy when it comes to this bc I usually know exactly what I want, so it doesn't take me long to make a decision. The one thing that I am having a problem with is contrast in the kitchen between the kitchen cabinets and the hardwood floor that will be in there. I like cherry-toned wood so the cabinets will be cherry stained maple. And the floors will be a cherry-ish color too. I am not sure which to make a darker shade (the floors will be hardwood throughout the main floor). I am thinking the cabinets should be a bit darker than the floor, but I just wanted some input so hopefully someone can help me out : ) The countertops will be a black granite if that helps any. Thanks so much for any advice!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 08:38 PM  
slownsteady

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I hope you're planning to put a lot of light in that kitchen; sounds overall dark to me.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:02 PM  
emky

Yes, the walls will be a warm white tone..there will plenty of white contrast to make the cherry pop. I am sure what I am going to do is make the cabinets a bit darker than the floors so they stand out and so the floors don't drown the kitchen. I was just looking for some reassurance, that's all.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:04 PM  
frozenstar

Yep that sounds like a dark kitchen. Anyway, IMO, I'd simply prefer for the darker cabinets. Also, it should blend well with the wall paint.

[I]“You can always get someone to love you, even if you have to [B]do it yourself[/B]”[/I]
[I][SIZE="1"][/URL][/SIZE][/I]

Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 PM  
emky

Yes, that would be a darker kitchen - cherry is dark. My taste is traditional....I love dark wood. It will be beautiful. Thanks for the opinions : )

Old 06-03-2010, 03:12 PM  
tremblay

I find it is always best if there is some contrast between the cabinets and the floor. It will not look right if they are exactly the same. I don't think it matters which is darker.

Now, since your counter tops are dark, I think it may be best to make the floors lighter.

Why not have dark counter tops, and dark wood cabinets with a lighter hardwood floor.

I have seen this done in many homes and looks stunning.

Dan,

Calgary Hardwood Flooring | Signature Floors
Calgary Hardwood Flooring | Valentino Exotic Floors

Old 06-16-2010, 05:57 PM  
hotiso

You guys posting about having a darker kitchen because of the color scheme just got me to re-evaluate my ideas on doing this exact same job. I was going for a saddle colored wood with a black semi smooth textured counter top.

You need light in the kitchen

Old 06-18-2010, 05:59 AM  
noah_678
Banned

Hello,

In my point of view dark kitchen is not so well . You have to use lightened kitchen. Thanks for sharing this problem to me and i hope more that type in future.

thanks !

_________
Free Woodworking Beginners Guide

Old 06-18-2010, 10:50 AM  
granite-girl

A lot of times people will contrast everything, meaning darker floors, lighter cabinets, dark countertop. Then everything kinda stands out on it's own. I would try to get different colors on the wood floor & cabinets, more of a contrast. Otherwise it'll all look the same color or it'll look like you tried to match & just missed.

Good Luck

[URL="http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/"]http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/[/URL]

[URL="http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/"]http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/[/URL]

Old 06-18-2010, 01:53 PM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

I would try and narrow it down to a few choices and then hold up some flooring samples next to the cabinet samples and see how it looks. I think a contrast is in order. If they are too similar but not exactly the same then it would look like a mistake.

Here is a kitchen I did for my parents.

more pics here
Episode #65 – A Handyguys Kitchen

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Quick Reply