DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > Living room decoration & ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM  
Maverick7687

I didn't even think about checking videos, I will do that and see what I can come up with.

To run the wires through the wall you could cut the holes and maybe drop a string or something down that you could tie the wires to and pull through that way none of them get lost, that is if there is nothing obstructing the straight line down.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 AM  
granite-girl

Are you planning on keeping the loveseat & chair ? So nothing bigger ?
I like the idea of 2 ottomans as a coffee table. And don't think you need to have all furniture on the wall, I know it's a small space, but the loveseat seems too far away from the fireplace & t.v. wall.
Consider this: move loveseat forward so that itdoesn't interfere with the staircase, like even with the outeredge of staircase or closer, you have too much room for that coffee table. I love the mural, I'd hang them right next to eachother, so no space in between, then I'd put a simple sofa table ( a tall skinny table) under it, with may a book about space laying on it, maybe a small lamp. Then cozy up your t.v. area, maybe even put a flat screen above the fireplace. Then you could get rid of that piece of furniture to right of fireplace- or keep it - I like it. But if you put the t.v. over the fireplace, then that's definitley your focal wall, instead of, the mural wall, the t.v. wall or the fireplace... You could use that space for a small dry bar or another small lamp, a few special display items...
Also one last thing. Are all of those walls different colors or is it just the picture ? I'd paint them all the same if they aren't & maybe do an accent color on the fireplace.
Hope that wasn't too much, but you asked for it.
Good Luck

[URL="http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/"]http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/[/URL]

[URL="http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/"]http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/[/URL]

Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 AM  
granite-girl

O.k. I just looked at pictures again, the walls are probably the same color - except fireplace wall- sorry.

[URL="http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/"]http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/[/URL]

[URL="http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/"]http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/[/URL]

Old 05-27-2010, 05:37 PM  
dpenagir

I think you should think on changing that carpet and give some character to the floor. Maybe putting some nice travertine or marble that is not to expensive.
There are some online retailers that provide great pricing in travertine tile like | SOOPLIES | that can really let you do it without breaking the budget

Old 05-30-2010, 05:35 PM  
jason3

Hi condoowner,

Instead of buying a new coffee table you could consider tiling the top with mosaic tiles. The little storage cabinet could be painted white. You can get double curtain rods for around $20 from Wal-Mart. It will add a touch of elegance to the room. If you don't have curtains but happen to have some decent sheets you are not using you can use these to sew some curtains. Flat sheets can also be bought for a few dollars and used to make curtains and matching cushion covers etc.

Install an inexpensive wall shelf and display candles. Or you could get wall candles holders for $10.

You could also get a rug and a mural that match in color. This would tie the height of the room nicely.

For the top of the fireplace I suggest some new picture frames that match your new color scheme.

Also another thing to remember is that the more roundness you have in any room, the more comfortable its going to cause that room to seem. So get big comfy cushions, a round side table if possible, a round picture frame or two to hang on a wall, etc.

If you liked my suggestions you can check out my new ebookaat Decorate4Less.Info.

Thanks! Jason

Old 06-01-2010, 06:15 PM  
bobtheblindguy

I think the mural is very cool. A top treatment for your shade would give it that lived in feel. Maybe a cloth valance or even a cornice. Also if your on ground level and want more privacy, consider some type of top down bottom up shade.

BobTheBlindGuy.com

Old 04-18-2011, 07:46 AM  
4Clover

Sorry to be a downer but I don't like that mural at least the way its split. In my opinion with it split into 8 pieces like that, I feel it takes up to much room, or something, hard to describe. I think if you had 2 sets of 4 in 2 different locations that might look nice or put 2 sets of 4above the fireplace with an object being the "separator" splitting them down the middle. Either that or make the mural one whole picture. I do not have really any knowledge on design or anything, so this is just my general opinion. ^.^

Old 05-25-2011, 02:43 PM  
Alyssa

what kind of design style generally attracts you?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Hey all!

Thanks for the great advices! I'm finishing up the living room as only a few items still need to be purchased (lamps, mirror, etc)

I finally did not go for the mural I was talking about at the beginning if this thread. I thought it was too big, I might get tired of it, and most of all, it was absurd expensive. Instead of the mural I am thinking about a large rectangular mirror that would reflect off the sunlight from the front window.

Of course ideas are still welcome!

On the other hand, I purchased brand new furnitures such as 2 swivel chairs custom made for me a extra large 3place leather couch ( I treated myself I bought real leather not faux leather or bycast either) . Was expensive but I really don't regret it! Now I also have a nice 55in LCD facing it ( mounted on the wall) and my Linux htpc connected to it . I also bought a large coffee table and a smaller end table.

So overall I think I'm doing fine ( finally)... Next step might be to replace the carpet by hardwood . To answer Alyssa's question ( I like your name btw ) I tend to go for modern or European style rather than classic or country style.

I'd post some pictures but my camera died and I'm looking to buy a new one. For now I only have my iPhone's camera... Not great!

Last edited by condoowner; 05-25-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:01 AM  
jimmy50

i think you could use a few more decorations. but i like they way you have it now. but then again, i am a guy that knows little about style. on a side note- i see lots of orbs in your house. creepy!

Quick Reply