DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > Need advice on a material to use for outdoors that is breathable yet private.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 09:11 AM  
DebbieG
Resourceful Designer

Default Need advice on a material to use for outdoors that is breathable yet private.

Hello.

I am building a privacy wall for an outdoor patio (uncovered), out of the framing from 2 folding privacy screens attached to flower boxes for stability.
I can't figure out what to replace the rice paper that was on them with that would allow the wind to still get through, yet provide privacy. I considered usiing bamboo shades, but they are too see through. I would like to have vines growing up them. My latest idea is cutting 2"strips of canvas to create a criss cross pattern with, so that the wind could still get through, yet it would provide more privacy than the blinds would have. I have also considered attaching wrought iron trellises, but again, the privacy problem.
If the wind can't get through, I am afraid a good windstorm will just destry them.
I need some creative help!

Thank you

Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 03:31 PM  
rookiepb

Hi Debbie G

Not sure how wide the framing is, but one could use wood slats like you see in the bottom of some of the doors only placed vertical at a slight angle. I have replaced some slat in a door before, they are somewhat flexible since they are not too thick. Small wooden dowel pins could hold them in place yet allow them to be moved to allow more wind to come thru or turned for more privicy. Just a thought.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply