DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > Opinions on Remodel Design.

View Poll Results: Would this design be appropriate in an older home to "open it up"
Yes, it looks great. 0 0%
No, it's too "busy" "crowded" "maze like" 4 80.00%
IT's not terrible but it's not what I would do. 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 02:10 PM  
jesselfout

Default Opinions on Remodel Design.

I've attached a sketch of my proposed remodel, it's an older home (1939), small 1400 sq. ft. split between three levels. Right now the space is divided up a lot, I'd like to put a pass through between the dinning room and living room, a bar and door in the wall between the dinning room and kitchen, and a door between the kitchen and the living room. Some people I've asked said they love it, some say it's "a lot of arches" or "a lot of doors" the wall between the living room/dining room and living room/kitchen is load bearing but the wall between the kitchen and dinning room is not. I tried just taking the kitchen wall completely out, but that would mean demolishing an additional wall.

Please no hate speech on my color choices, it's more for contrast than anything else.

tableview.jpg   viewfrombar.jpg   viewfromlivingroom.jpg   viewfrombackdoor_small.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 721 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 1266

As you can see in other posts about cutting holes in bearing walls, I can,t stress enough to get an engineer to make engineering decisions. Making arches of different width will turn out much like what you have. They will all look different. Any place that you stand and see two or more they will just look wrong. I like arches but I would do flat top and rounded corners, they will look more standard.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM  
jesselfout

Default Thanks for the reply

Definitely going to consult an engineer for the modification of the supporting wall.

If I understand you correctly, you think that, unless all the arches can be the same size I should instead do rounded corners with flat tops or prehaps just flat tops instead?

Thanks.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:04 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Yes that is my opinion, but why not just go for the open look.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:37 PM  
jesselfout

Default Please explain

So just remove the kitchen living room walls entirely?
Span of the of existing arch to the stairs is about 12 feet.
I guess I really need to get an engineer in here to see what's possible.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:15 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

For twelve feet he will want to check the bearing all the way down to the foundation.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 PM  
jesselfout

Default Thanks for the reply

Gotcha, this wall sits on a steel ibeam which is in the foundation.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:50 PM  
Jdmrenovations

Neal is dead on with the arches...they are tough to get right. First the openings need to be roughly the same size...they just look better that way. Everyone will naturally look at them...then compare them...then critique them in their minds...drawing attention away from the house as a whole.

Either way you decide to go, get a good framer and finisher, and make sure he makes some sort of template instead of just "winging it" They are tougher than they look to get right.

[URL]http://www.meyerrenovations.com[/URL] Beware of the "do-it-all contractor".

Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts

I agree with nealtw--too many arch sizes really clutters the place up, making things look too "busy." Constant corner radii and common top clearance (distance from floor) is the answer. For different openings, they'll all still be different, but in a uniform way, if that makes any sense.

I helped design/build a buddy's house a few years ago, and came up with 3 different sized arches using the above suggestions, and it turned out great. I used the "floating stringline and pencil" method to mimic a natural elliptical shape for the middle-sized opening, then just copied that one's corner radius and top clearance for the other two.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:20 PM  
jesselfout

Default Thanks for the input guys

indeed, they were too tough in sketchup, and that wasn't even real wood. We have a couple arches that are original to the house but maybe after we talk to the engineer we'll just give up on ArchFest '12 and go with the curved corners flattop. if it was just a simple arch it would be one thing, but I think the style we have currently is called ogee or a depressed/compressed tudor so it's basically made up of two sections of circles on the corners and then two arcs meeting at a point at the top... it's a real son of a gun to draw

1. Engineer to evaluate the situation.
2. Pay architect neighbor in homebrew for his professional opinion
3. possibly knock some stuff down

One question I have for BridgeMan, is can you link a video or a post on what your a talking about?

next-idea.jpg  

Quick Reply