DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Decorating and Design (
-   -   plugged-in lighting fixture for bathroom? (

theayale 11-02-2012 03:31 AM

plugged-in lighting fixture for bathroom?
I totally agree with my mother when she said that the light fixtures in my bathroom in my apartment is not really appropriate, or let's say its really nice to look at. Since I am in rental, any replacing of decors or furnitures is prohibited. So is there a lighting fixture that comes with a cord so I just have to plugged it in? I think a one bulb lighting type will do.

All replies would be highly appreciated.

nealtw 11-02-2012 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaps one of these under cabinet lamps

Wuzzat? 11-02-2012 02:10 PM

Appliances should be able to stand up under these conditions/definitions

In any case, plug it into a GFCI receptacle.

Wuzzat? 11-03-2012 12:29 PM


Originally Posted by theayale (Post 79508)
I think it would be appropriate guys if the light fixtures would be appropriate for bathroom.Like this one

I just don't think it has a cord.

The OP can put a 3 wire cord on it.
And with a GFCI, even if the fixture is dripping wet and somehow gets current leaking to the housing, the user is safe.

There are many ways to be relatively safe. The NEC and UL are two ways.

CallMeVilla 11-03-2012 04:37 PM

Well .... I usually ask forgiveness instead of permission. Since lighting fistures are so easy to replace, I would trash the old one and spring for the cost of a new one that you plan on leaving in the unit when you leave. I never left a rental that I had not significantly improved "just because."

Take some pics and re-post. If you can't do it yourself, ask around. Replacing a light fixture is one of the easiest things there is to do IF YOU FOLLOW SAFETY STEPS! ;)

theayale 11-06-2012 02:28 AM

So do you all mean I can buy this lighting right there and just install the cord? How much would I pay for that?

nealtw 11-06-2012 11:03 AM

A lamp that has a cord on it will have a protected place where the wires are connected. These lights all have an open back and is ment to mount in front of a box where the wires can be connected. Any of these lights would have to be changed to have a clamp system for the cable and have a back installed.
I agree with Villa, just change the fixture and keep the old one for when you move out.

theayale 11-07-2012 03:23 AM

Maybe I really should hire an electrician to do this work. If I had to really change the fixtures. Thank you for all the replies. I would be back when I got problem installing my fixtures.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 AM.