DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > textured wall issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM  
kverde18

Default textured wall issue

so our new house (built in '83) has textured walls in every room and some strange paint choices to boot. we decided to tackle the guestroom which was a demin blue color with a deep texture (that is curiously a totally different texture than the other 2 BRs). after priming with kills2 and painting a lighter blue flat latex, i found that the whole job could be scratched off with a fingernail. areas that i had taped off will peel down to the bare texture (i.e. through both my paint and the existing paint job). it appears that the previous owners did a plaster coat of texture and did not prime before painting.

should i scrape everything off and start anew? how would i go about doing so? should i just hire a pro?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 04:47 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome KVerde:
I would want to take the texture off to the sheetrock. It may be a daunting process but a smooth wall is that improtant to me. Once you can break through the paint, the texture can be dampened with a spray bottle of water and scraped off fairly easy.
Stanley sells a rasp that is more like a thin blade with holes in it mounted on a plastic frame; they are very good for such applications in that you can control the depth you cut and preserve the paper on the sheetrock.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply