DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > wall tiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 06:09 AM  
jjm

Send a message via Skype™ to jjm
Default wall tiles

If I want to put individual tiles on my wall in a scattered pattern....just for accent/decoration points, what would I use as an adhesive (sp?) ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would use a high quality 2 inch wide painter's masking tape on the areas of the walls you wanted to put the tiles up first, trace the outline of the tile on the masking tape, and then use this tool:

To remove the masking tape just inside the outline mark. Hold the tool tight to the wall inside the outline mark and pull the tape off so that the tape is cut along the sharp edge of the tool. The result will be a square or rectange of painter's masking tape on the wall just a little smaller than the size of the tile.

Now, stick your tiles up with 1/16" thick double sided mounting tape (traditionally used for mounting mirror tiles on walls back in the 60's and 70's). Stick the tile onto the painter's masking tape so that you can gradually pry the tiles off the double sided mounting tape, and then pull the painter's tape off the wall to remove the tiles without harming the walls.

The pictured tool is sold in home centers as a "wallpaper scraper" which is completely ridiculous because it's so sharp that the only wet surface you could conceivably use it on MIGHT be strong lime putty based plaster walls to remove wallpaper. If you use it anywhere near wet drywall paper, it'll butcher the surface paper of the drywall. Longer and stronger versions of the same tool are sold in places that sell flooring installation supplies, and the Installations Manager at any carpet retailer will know who sells flooring installation supplies in your area.

If you look closely at that tool, you will notice a small hole at the BACK of the blade. Yes, in that picture the blade is installed backwards. They do this intentionally so that store employees and customers don't hurt themselves handling these tools cuz the blades in them are sharp as a razor. So, be careful using it.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 07-27-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 PM  
frozenstar

Very nice info there Nestor! Perfet!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:46 AM  
olivia751

Hello,

Wall tiles are the good option to decorate your bathroom. Today's mostly people use the wall tiles. This is easy to clean and maintain.

Regards,
Olivia

Kitchen & Bathroom Renovations

Old 02-23-2010, 04:03 PM  
StoneHorseTile_GA
Chief Wingnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm View Post
If I want to put individual tiles on my wall in a scattered pattern....just for accent/decoration points, what would I use as an adhesive (sp?) ?
I would use Mastic, available at most home DIY stores. It allows for fast setting and usually grips tiles without need of support. For reassurance, I'd secure tiles with blue painters tape until adhesive has dried, usually 24 hrs.

[B]Specializing in Custom Home Renovations, Bathroom Remodeling and Stone Installations[/B]
[url]www.StoneHorseTile.com[/url]
[B]404.543.3210[/B]

Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 AM  
hadiya

Wall tile adhesive is a glue of sorts that is used to hold tiles on a vertical surface and not meant to take weight. Its Ready made mixed, adhesive and grout used for wall tiles.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:43 AM  
gillispy456

If you are paint your wall then you need to re-paint it and after some times paint will loss its effective decoration and brightness of the color. When wall tiles offer you long term maintenance free services and also easy cleaning with cotton cloth. Decorative wall make your home

[url=http://www.r4i.co.uk/]m3 ds real[/url]

Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 AM  
wengay

At least you have a great idea. Wall tiles is more different in painting a wall. If you had a wall tiles at least it's not hassle to clean it and it will last for a long period of time. Great idea.

[URL=http://www.amcraftindustrialcurtainwall.com/]Outdoor Curtains[/URL]

Quick Reply