DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > Wallpaper: The work of satan

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 08:17 PM  
302XR7

Default Wallpaper: The work of satan

Hi my names Tyler I'm new to this forum, and as you can tell from the title of this post Im having trouble with removing wallpaper.Any how heres the story:
We bought our house in 2001 and have been planning on changing the paint in our bedroom. So yesterday after 5 years we decied to go look at paint, we found a color(it's a sort of a toapish color) and decided that we would try and paint our room tomorrow. Well today we started around noon and moved all of our furniture out of the room, and finally started on the wallpaper. After 6 hours of scraping at that wallpaper we've only gotten about 5 feet of it off. This is a problem because theres about 50 feet of it. We,ve tried spraying it with this Dif stuff thats suppose to help remove wall paper , and we've used one of those small round things that spins and puts holes in the wallpaper, not to mention we've sprayed warm water on the wall in an attempt to loosen the wallpaper glue. So if any one knows of anything that will help get it off a little faster please say somthing, Thanks .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2006, 09:20 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

After you have sprayed the Dif on the perforated paper, is the surface wet behind the paper when you scrape it off? Dif is an enzyme product which will eat regular wallpaper paste and the paper should almost fall off. If the wall is not wet behind the paper, then the perforations are not effective. Some slit the paper very lightly with a razor blade to allow the liquid to penetrate. Be careful not to cut the drywall paper facing behind the wall paper. If this doesn't work, someone has used a different kind of glue (Elmer's woodglue). In that case just cuss the installer and keep scraping.
Glenn

Old 07-10-2006, 07:55 AM  
manhattan42

What kind of wallpaper? Vinyl? Paper?

Is the existing wallpaper already painted?

Old 07-10-2006, 05:28 PM  
pqglen

I have found that fire and or explosives works real well to remove wallpaper...just kidding it takes alot of labor and paitence to terms that often mix like oil and water good luck. I have used some comercial steam machines before with mixed results

pqglen

Old 07-11-2006, 01:33 PM  
disneyrsh

Here's what my parents used to remove 5+ layers of wallpaper from a prewar house. They took boiling water, vinegar, and fabric softener, mixed them all together, sprayed it on the wall, and that stuff started dissolving like crazy. You're probably going to have to google the ingredients to find the exact ratio, my mother doesn't remember it anymore (she says she's blocked it out), but it really worked. That Dif stuff didn't work at all for me, either.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:03 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Dif doesn't always work, but when it does, it's great! I've used it and had varying results. It's usually better than most other products I've tried.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 07-18-2006, 10:58 AM  
ks_tornado_chic
Frustrated w/ a 1925 Home

Send a message via MSN to ks_tornado_chic Send a message via Yahoo to ks_tornado_chic
Default Wallpaper is of Satan... Read ON

Something that helped us remove the 5(!!!! ) layers of wallpaper from the plaster in our house was using a sponge saoked with warm (or Hot) water and putting it on the seams. Most of the places curled right up and we were able to scrape with a putty knife. Otherwise we soaked and scraped along. Another helpful thing to try is if there are any bubbling spots, cut that open and pull.... it should come off in sheets. keep the warm water handy though to wask the walls, and put KILZ up on the bare walls before putting the paint on.... the color will look better.

:confused: 1920s Homeowner

Old 07-22-2006, 12:12 PM  
Paper Hanger

Default Wallpaper Removal

Unfortunatly all wallpaper removal jobs I do are different. Every wallpaper comes off different and so much depends on how the previous installer prepared the walls. The most important thing is to try and remove the vinyl facing from the paper backing. Most papers it will seperate. Try pealing from the top or bottom and determin what end it is coming off easier. I use a razor blad to start it off or a window scraper for removing paint off glass. That tool holds a razor blade. Dont dig into the drywall. Once the facing is off the backing can be wet several times than removed. Stay ahead of yourself when wetting it down.

Hope this helps ,
John Aufiero
http://www.wallpaperyourwalls.com

John Aufiero
The Art Of Wallpapering
Give Your Home The Warmth And Beauty You Desire !
[url]http://www.paperyourwalls.com[/url]

Old 11-06-2006, 05:09 AM  
crispiddy12

my g/f and i have been remodeling our house for the last couple months and we came accross the same problem... she used DIF on a few rooms that had wall paper. she saturated the walls with the DIF and hot water...50/50 split...
then the paper came right up with a wall paper scraper.... the bathroom that we tried doing this weekend however did not go so good using DIF... i think it was just contact paper on the walls cuz i didn't see any type of glue... i ended up ripping everything out and put up new drywall... figures

wallpaper is definetly the work of satan

Old 11-13-2006, 07:55 AM  
akradar

I re-did the bathroom, and had some wallpaper to take off. It was old, and looked like c&*^. I grabbed and pulled and got most of it off, then began to paint. The primer went on, then I noticed the wall was bubbling in spots. Turned out I only got the top layer of wallpaper off, and the wetness of the primer was helping the rest. Wet a sponge with warm water, then scraped. It all came off, and went OK after that. I had my kids wetting the paper while I scraped, so they stayed ahead of me. My neighbors warned me of an impending divorce possible when wallpapering with your spouse a long time ago. But they also said if "any marriage survived that, it's built to last". How true....

Last edited by akradar; 11-13-2006 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply