DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > Wallpaper: The work of satan

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 05:30 PM  
RaeBeth

When I moved into my house, the kitchen had 70's era fruit and veggie motiff border. After threatening to knock down the walls and rebuild, someone told me to use warm water with Dawn dishwashing detergent mixed in. Just get the water as soapy as possible, scoop the bubbles off the top, and put it in a spray bottle. The clean up is a mess, but no more so than any other way. Also, a spackling tool (flat metal edge type) works great for scraping it off. Spray it down, give it a minute or so to absorb, and it should come right off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 12:38 PM  
dekor8r2008

LOL, this post makes me sad! I love wallpaper. Yes, I know... most people tell me I'm crazy. But I'm not a huge fan of plain colors... idk, maybe I am crazy!

[B][COLOR="Purple"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Emmy:o [/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/B]

Old 04-23-2008, 09:27 PM  
spirits

Default Remember to celebrate after

Removing wallpaper can be frustrating. All the previous posts are correct. It just depends on what kind of paper you have. One summer day I spent the better part of the day stripping off the paper in our kitchen. i worked all day and just was able to remove 1 panel. My husband came home, took a utility knife and scored the paper in grids(careful not to get the plaster behind the paper) Then he soaked it well with water and it came off much better. It was foil wallpaper and scoring it helped the water soak in. Other wise the water didn't penetrate very well and came off in tiny strips. To top it off it was paper I had picked out years before. I should have known better since I had done this before just not on foil.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:40 AM  
fred333

That is the worst when you have to take down paper that you picked out years before. My wife and I did that same thing.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:19 PM  
mnuttall

Been lurking here for a while now, but had to sign up to respond to this thread. My wife and I bought our (first) house one year and one week ago. It's a 1920's foursquare. I'm pretty sure that it had every layer of wallpaper or paint ever applied still on the walls. Since we both hate wallpaper, and painted over wallpaper even more, we decided to strip it all off. Every room had between 8 and 16 layers of wallpaper on every wall - and ceiling. It's a 2,400 square foot house so I'm sure you can all imagine just how much fun we had stripping it all... Luckily it was all over plaster which makes it much much easier.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:56 AM  
daniel2229

OK, I have to repsond to this thread! My wife and I wallpapered every room in our house when it was in vogue. Then, of course, when the wallpaper became tired or out of style, we changed it or removed it all together.

We have used DIF, and in most cases this stuff works well, especially when sprayed constantly from a bottle.

Well, a few weeks ago we did remove the Vinyl Wallpaper from Hades! As Sadam would say, the mother of all wallpapers!

We used the tool to craze the surface, sprayed DIF, and waited a few minutes. Pieces of vinyl began falling off the wall -- one inch at a time!. Then the backing had to be treated just like the outer surface. What a job!

My first response was to pour gasoline of the wall and burn this stuff off, but that would leave the adjoining rooms reeking of gas! So, I got out the big guns -- the steam cleaner wallpaper remover!

There are lots of these babies on the market, the one we used was a Wagner. It is so much easier than the old propane tank steamers that you had to fire up outside your door. Plug it in, add water, and let 'er rip.

Wow, do they work. Now you just soften the paper backing, and the paper comes off easily.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 AM  
PaintIdeas

I remember pulling the wall paper from my parents walls when I was a kid for hours on end. It is not a pleasant experiences. I found this blog post that I thought had some great tips. Hope it helps.

Paint Ideas · Blog · Wallpaper Removal Preparation

Old 09-17-2010, 05:00 PM  
taperguy71

Default Wallpaper removal

I thought I would throw in my two cents here. Actually I agree with what Paper Hanger said, the best way is to first put some poly on the floor and tape it to the baseboard then dry peel off the wallpaper facing and lay the paper on the poly, peeling as much face paper off as you can. Next get a hudson sprayer and fill it with hot water (just hot water nothing else). Next soak the wall letting the water saturate it, keep soaking. Then with a 6'' puttyknife start to scrape the paper backing off the wall, now the ease at which it comes off depends on what type of wallpaper paste was used in installation, don't be afraid to soak the heck out of the wall. After you have removed the backing paper the wall will feel slimey, that is the residual paste left on the wall. Now you must get that residual paste off or when you paint the paintjob will develop cracks called crazing that is from the paint reactivating the paper paste before it dries. So the best way to get that paste off is to wash the walls with warm soapy water and to continuously feel the walls as you go to see if the slimeyness of the paste is gone. Then after the walls are dry just patch the bad spots with spackle and prime.

Quick Reply