DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > What to do when you rent and your bathroom sucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 06:55 PM  
marelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
If you rent and the bathroom sucks (does the rent suck, too?), maybe it's really time to start looking for a new place.

Any landlord who wouldn't want his property to be improved by a tenant is being unrealistic, as well as not particularly smart.
I used to let tenants do improvements. But most do way more damage with poor workmanship than you can even believe.

I've let tenants take out new expensive carpet to put in pergo floors, only to find that you can stand a penny in the spaces left between the planks, and I have to take it out before I can rent the place again.

Paint sounds harmless - right? Not so! A really bad paint job takes a lot of work to do over right. Cleaning slopped over paint off aluminum window frames is a pain. I've had tenants put up a wall paper border and then paint over it, making it almost impossilbe to remove, and with a line that shows.

I am currently letting tenants redo a place built in the 1930's, but only after I worked with them for a week, so I know that they are very competant. I'm providing the materials and they are providing the labor. So far it's cost me about $1,000, but they are doing a fantastic job.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 AM  
Snav

Quote:
Originally Posted by marelin View Post
I used to let tenants do improvements. But most do way more damage with poor workmanship than you can even believe.

I've let tenants take out new expensive carpet to put in pergo floors, only to find that you can stand a penny in the spaces left between the planks, and I have to take it out before I can rent the place again.

Paint sounds harmless - right? Not so! A really bad paint job takes a lot of work to do over right. Cleaning slopped over paint off aluminum window frames is a pain. I've had tenants put up a wall paper border and then paint over it, making it almost impossilbe to remove, and with a line that shows.

I am currently letting tenants redo a place built in the 1930's, but only after I worked with them for a week, so I know that they are very competant. I'm providing the materials and they are providing the labor. So far it's cost me about $1,000, but they are doing a fantastic job.
Just like bad home-owner home improvement jobs - I can see the potential issues. Even stuff that happens that you don't know about.

It's good that you've just changed your approach with these new tenants rather than just flat out saying no - that way everyone still gets something good out of it. Nice approach.

I'm a giiirl - The local hardware store is my shopping mall ;)

Old 12-26-2011, 03:52 AM  
shainakhan
Banned

You can hang a good poster or painting that can distract the eyeballs from the boring elements you mentioned. Using bathroom curtains that are water proof will let you hide the entire walls!

Old 12-26-2011, 12:15 PM  
SnellExperts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenstar View Post
Get a new apartment will be the best
Gonna have to agree with this, or better yet, buy your own place. It really doesn't cost that much more, but at least your payments are going to something that you can hopefully call your own one day.

[URL=http://www.snellexperts.com]Mold Inspection[/URL]
[URL=http://www.executiverestoration.com]Mold Inspection Charlotte NC[/URL]

Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 PM  
hensensky
Marion

Sounds like you don't really have a lot of options. I like the idea of getting a new apartment!

Quick Reply