DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Walls and Ceilings (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f109/)
-   -   Damp spot and possible mold? (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f109/damp-spot-possible-mold-12402/)

nova 10-27-2011 11:01 AM

Damp spot and possible mold?
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I'm wondering what to do (and how concerned I should be) about a damp spot and possible mold in an interior basement wall. The spot showed up about a week or two ago -- about a week after I had an overflowing toilet in the bathroom above it. Not a lot of water; perhaps 1-2 gallons, which was cleaned up right away.

I've attached a couple of photos and have put a 67mm (2.5) lenscap in the photo for size.

Thanks -- I really appreciate it.

nealtw 10-27-2011 11:20 AM

I would cut out a 10" x 10" peice and inspect the other side of the drywall.

nova 10-27-2011 12:14 PM

Thank, I appreciate it.

I admit, I'm not looking forward to cutting any drywall. however, as we have an infant in the house, I suppose I better be safe than sorry.

oldognewtrick 10-27-2011 12:36 PM

Take a sample and get it tested, should only be around $50.00 to get it analyzed and it will give you peace of mind. I took a piece of roof tile in last week for asbestos and that was the cost, they had the results back in 2 hours.

isola96 10-27-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nova
Thank, I appreciate it.

I admit, I'm not looking forward to cutting any drywall. however, as we have an infant in the house, I suppose I better be safe than sorry.

This is on a ceiling or wall? Strange spot to be on wall side?

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

joecaption 10-27-2011 06:43 PM

I'd never send a sample out for testing when all you had was one small leak.
Open up the wall between the wall studs at least 16 X16"and reach in and see if it's wet, spray in some bleach and water 50/50 let it dry a few days then patch the hole.

oldognewtrick 10-27-2011 08:40 PM

If he wasn't concerned I wouldn't have reccomended testing. His posting indicates he needs piece of mind.

Heres an interesting read about bleach and mold.

Chlorine Bleach Effects

nealtw 10-27-2011 10:05 PM

Great write up about bleach. Let's not scare people half to death over this, it was a limited amount of water for a 2 week period. It shouldn't be a big deal and will most likely just be drywall to be replaced.

joecaption 10-30-2011 06:41 AM

Wipe the spot with bleach, if it disappers, it's mold, $50.00 saved that can go toward the drywall, tape and compound that's really needed.
The sooner it's fixed the less mold spors are spread.

nova 11-13-2011 02:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks to everyone for the replies. All very, very helpful. I've cut out the drywall and think I'm not at the stage where I'm in need of your advice and, perhaps, professional help.

I realized that the water is coming from a shower on the other side of this wall. It seems to be intermittent, as there had been no new water damage for three weeks.

After pulling out the drywall, I found a pipe immediately to the right of the spot, a bit of mold underneath the spot, and a rusted screw immediately below the spot. I believe the pipe supplies water to a shower head and that it is leaking elsewhere and that water is dripping down into the screw and then to the wall.

Also, while I didn't see any more mold, and there are no other bubble spots on the wall, I did smell it some mold. I don't know if there's more or I the spot I saw was all there was.

For now I've sealed the hole with plastic (see pic) as well as that portion of the basement with a plastic sheet/tape.

Pics of the hole, screw (closeup -- it's at the top part of the first pic, too) and pipe are included. Any/all thoughts as to how to proceed would be fantastic.

Thanks!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 PM.