DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Distressed House with Obliterated Drywalls...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 04:40 PM  
tk3000

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Distressed House with Obliterated Drywalls...

Hello Folks,
I have distressed house whose interior drywall was mostly obliterated. So I was wondering if I should simply buy new drywall of the same thickness (1/2”) and grade and then cut it square and patch it, or maybe just remove the remains of the old drywall and install the whole thing anew.

Also the previous owner managed to make a see through hole perforating not only the drywall but also the exterior wall sheathing albeit the hole is not visible from the exterior wall because of the siding. I am assuming the sheathing should be osb3 or plywood. What would be the approach to patch or repair that?

Below are some pics that speak for themselves:

Drywall Destruction

Light pass through wall

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 08:13 PM  
Drywallinfo

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You can patch this, but perhaps it would be to your advantage to remove it all and start over if you think the walls need insulation or new electrical outlets. See http://www.drywallinfo.com for help on taping and finishing. Looks like vandals have been in the home.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 814 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

Remove and replace the worst of it and patch small holes if the rest of the wall is good. The simple patch for small hole is cut the new peice first slightly larger than the hole hold it over the hole and draw the lines to cut out the bad stuff. Slide a peice of wood into the hole a position it and screw it in place and that will give something to screw the patch to.
The hole in the exterior wall is a bigger problem, likely he didn't install a header. Depending on whether there is a second floor or rafters land on this wall it might be serious.
Is there an upstairs? Do you want a window there? What kind of siding is out side this area? Is there a roof gutter directly above this opening?
Are the outside walls 2x4 or 2x6 framing?

Old 11-12-2013, 05:34 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 332 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 110

That amount of damage I would take it all off and start over. Good time as mentioned above to fix or add things in the walls.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:54 AM  
tk3000

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Remove and replace the worst of it and patch small holes if the rest of the wall is good. The simple patch for small hole is cut the new peice first slightly larger than the hole hold it over the hole and draw the lines to cut out the bad stuff. Slide a peice of wood into the hole a position it and screw it in place and that will give something to screw the patch to.
The hole in the exterior wall is a bigger problem, likely he didn't install a header. Depending on whether there is a second floor or rafters land on this wall it might be serious.
Is there an upstairs? Do you want a window there? What kind of siding is out side this area? Is there a roof gutter directly above this opening?
Are the outside walls 2x4 or 2x6 framing?
Thanks for your insights! I have patched drywall in the past (but mostly small holes). Back them I found that using a jigsaw was much faster than drywall saw, but produced too much dust all over. There is no second floor (a pic below). I can see light coming to the inside, but as far I a remember there is no visible hole on the outside sidings (I believe it is vinyl), so I believe that I has been protected by the sidings. The soffits, fascia and gutters are another big problem that I intend to tackle very soon (right now I am at different location,); basically there is no soffits, fascia cover or gutters (pic below). Sorry, but I don't know about the size of the outside walls. I do not believe that the house was exposed to the weather for a long time though (maybe 3 months). At first the soffits seemed larger than usual, but the fascia board seemed ok at first. The attic insulation probably need to be replaced.

(No soffits, fascia, or gutters present)

(house from the outset)

How bad is the prospect of recovery? Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 AM  
tk3000

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywallinfo View Post
You can patch this, but perhaps it would be to your advantage to remove it all and start over if you think the walls need insulation or new electrical outlets. See http://www.drywallinfo.com for help on taping and finishing. Looks like vandals have been in the home.
Thanks, I will look into the link. Actually, it was not vandals; but the previous owner with a hammer who got around destroying everything. Even the toilet was put down into pieces.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Depending on the price of the house, the building looks to be alright from what we can see. So I think it can be saved but it will be a lot of work.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 434 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 140

If it were mine, I would strip all the existing drywall out and have an electrician come and give it a look over. With all the damage, who knows what kind of shape the electrician service is in. Cover up a problem and you can kill someone or burn the house down.

Just my

Old 11-12-2013, 06:53 AM  
tk3000

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
If it were mine, I would strip all the existing drywall out and have an electrician come and give it a look over. With all the damage, who knows what kind of shape the electrician service is in. Cover up a problem and you can kill someone or burn the house down.

Just my
That is a good point. Apparently all the receptacles, switches and wires are intact. I don't have a problem rewiring everything to new circuit breaker switches if needed; but I really do not like to get close to the bus bar and all the wattage that it can unleash.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:22 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

So hire a pro to look over your work and do the final connections.

Quick Reply