DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > drywall next to tile

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 06:18 PM  
Kathy23

I purchased an old house, I wanted to paint the bathroom but when repairing holes in the wall I noticed wallpaper under the paint. I started stripping it off only to discover there is wholes where the wall meets the drywall....any ideas how to repair them?

Any help would be appreciated!!

forumrunner_20130818_181756.jpg  

Last edited by Kathy23; 08-18-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 06:44 PM  
Kathy23

I purchased an old house, I wanted to paint the bathroom but when repairing holes in the wall I noticed wallpaper under the paint. I started stripping it off only to discover there is wholes where the wall meets the drywall....any ideas how to repair them?

Any help would be appreciated!!

forumrunner_20130818_184438.png

Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 PM  
WindowsonWashington

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Any repairs you do to an area like that (i.e. one that will get wet) are going to fail over time. See if you can locate a patching compound that is more impervious to water.

You would probably be better suited to cut back the drywall to an area in the wall where you can re-install a piece that will fall on a stud member on either side.

On the bullnose side, you might be sistering up some wood to give yourself an area to screw to.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:52 AM  
Drywallinfo

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What you should do is locate the next stud that is either 16" or 24" away. Then cut away all drywall from corner up to the edge of that stud. Attach nailer 2x2 pieces of wood to both that stud and the stud at the corner. You may then attach drywall to the nailers. Tape and finish. A step-by-step tutorial is given at http://www.drywallinfo.com/drywall-repair-videos.html

If this is an area that gets water splashed on it, you might use 1/2" Durock cement board instead of drywall as your patch piece. You can finish this like drywall. You will have to skim coat to fill in the Durock surface but it will work for you. I did this in our bathroom next to our tub 3 years ago and it has held up great. Before that, any repair I made was quickly wrecked by splashed water.

Last edited by Drywallinfo; 08-19-2013 at 06:57 AM.
WindowsonWashington Likes This 
Old 08-19-2013, 05:49 PM  
WindowsonWashington

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Ding...ding.

Winner answer!

Old 09-04-2013, 06:14 PM  
Jungle

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 31

If the gap isn't too deep you could fill it will gap filler foam, then cut away the excess, apply dry wall patch, skim coat and sand down, repaint.

Quick Reply