DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Eliminating Drywall Ceiling In Attached Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 AM  
shane2943

Ok, suit yourself. But your missin out.

So how would I solve the fire break issue? That's a pretty important detail, methinks. I mean, I don't have a habit of burning bonfires in the garage, but who knows what could happen. Plus, I do eventually want to sell this house (probably not for 10 years yet) and I know it won't sell (nor should it) if there's a serious safety issue there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1369

I don't think you have a problem here. you will need the fire stop wall all the way up to the roof. The 2x10s are heavy duty but probably span 16 ft or more so they are close to there weight load limit.When you remove the drywall you will need a couple 1x4s or what have to tie all the 2 x 10s in place, like a catwalk. The garage will get hotter not cooler.
The lack of insulation in ceiling and walls is why it is hot. without the drywall it will be a common hot space.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 PM  
chewmanfoo

How 'bout an update on this project? Did you rip out the sheet rock? Can you post pictures?

Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 AM  
shane2943

Nope. Haven't done anything with it. I'll just bear the heat this summer. Maybe get a shop fan.

I'm putting the house up for sale next March, so I'm focusing on doing other upgrades and repairs around the house, like fixing bad siding, remodeling the master bath, remodeling the kitchen, etc. I don't want to spend money I wont get back. You know? If I were staying here another 5 years or something, I'd likely mess with the garage ventilation.

Quick Reply