DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Hangin Drywall in Basement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:28 PM  
Rincon

ToolGuy,
Might be best if I start from the beggining. The basement when we bought the house was finished. Definition of finished varies from room to room. Back side of the house not underground where the living room is they had attached brown paneling via small nails and looks like liquid nail directly to the block, and no sealer. Room in the basement on the front side of the house which is under ground they only painted the block with some type of sealer.

So I guess you say that the the walls are bare block walls with the exception of some type of white paint sealer. Paint may not be the right word, however the walls have been painted with something. Can't really say if it is sealer or paint tough.

"They" being who ever built the house 30 years ago. The wiring is ran inside the block. So if I add the 1 1/2" stud and 1/2" drywall I am adding 2" thickness to the wall. When I extend the electricsl box to be flush with the drywall I hope whomever ran the wiring originally left enough slack for me to extend. While writing this I thought about the possibility of pulling the wire back out of the top of the block and then straight down between the drywall and block wall. Wouldn't that make up for the thickness. A friend of mine tells me that I run the risk of shaving the insulatioin off and exposing the wire. Maybe I just have to be extra carefull and check it thoroughly. Anyway just a thought. Also I plan on leaving the electrical outlets where they are so I won't have to worry about putting a whole in the block to get them to fit. They are metal though, should I replace with plastic while I am in there?

Hope this isn't asking to much, I really appreciate your advice. I consider myself a capable guy, and like doing this type of work. So to save a buck or two for labor is always a plus. More for my wife and kids to have, RIGHT?!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 PM  
ToolGuy

Ah, now I get it.

Hopefully they did leave enough wire to extend the boxes. I don't see any reason to replace them with plastic, unless there is a moisture issue and they are rusting. But otherwise I would just add some extensions. If the wires are too short you could always pigtail a little extra wire onto them, seeing how you'll have some extra space for the extra wire nuts.

As for pulling the wiring out of the block and running it between the furring strips, I'm don't really see any benefit. And depending on how and where the wiring enters the block, it may not be that easy either. Unless there are any reasons to do otherwise, I would just add 1-1/2" extensions to the boxes and be done with it.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 AM  
guyod

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I cant believe someone would go through all the trouble of installing outlets in block just to go half *** with glueing paneling to the block.

How big of a no no is it to install panelling to block?

Would t-11 be acceptable?

Old 01-18-2008, 04:03 PM  
Rincon

ToolGuy
Thanks for the info. I will proceed. I should have clean up and prep done this weekend and start hangin next weekend.

guyod
I feel the same way. Not sure what t-11 is though.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:39 PM  
ToolGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincon View Post
ToolGuy
Thanks for the info. I will proceed. I should have clean up and prep done this weekend and start hangin next weekend.

guyod
I feel the same way. Not sure what t-11 is though.
Keep us posted. We're here with ya all the way.

[/I]

Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 PM  
guyod

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

T-11 is exterior grand 3/4 (i think) plywood that is used to side houses. It is tongue and groove and have a groove in it about every foot.. Im sure you have seen it maybe it is called something different in your area

Old 01-18-2008, 08:50 PM  
asbestos
Good with caulk

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you were to run the wires behind the drywall they would be more liable to damage from nails and things.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:32 PM  
Rincon

T-11 does ring a bell. I just haven't ever used it, but I do know what it is now.

Excellent point asbestos. About the wire.

Thinking about where to start when I begin tohang the furring strips. I am thinking that the best place will be to start with the windows and doors. What do you think?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:35 PM  
Rincon

"Where to begin with the furring strips?" I meant to ask if I should frame around the doors and windows first. Also how close to the edge of the block should I get with the 2x2's? I will be using the tapcons and drilling pilot holes, however Idon't want to risk busting out the block so close the edge. Maybe Ishould use 2x4's when ever I am close to an edge that way Ican attach the strips without getting to close. Hmmmmm.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 PM  
ToolGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincon View Post
"Where to begin with the furring strips?" I meant to ask if I should frame around the doors and windows first. Also how close to the edge of the block should I get with the 2x2's? I will be using the tapcons and drilling pilot holes, however Idon't want to risk busting out the block so close the edge. Maybe Ishould use 2x4's when ever I am close to an edge that way Ican attach the strips without getting to close. Hmmmmm.
Tapcons are not likely to break out near the edges. However there is one good reason to use a 2x4 at an ouside corner - so it will stick out flush with the furring strips around the corner. I would use a 2x4 and a 2x2 fastened together to make an L shape on oustide corners.

Whether to work around doors and windows first is a matter of personal preferance. I like to work doors and windows as I get to them (i.e. burn that bridge when I get to it), while some might prefer to do them first, then fill in the rest of the wall. Others still might do all the full length furring strips first, for that feeling of instant gratification, then go back and do the doors and windows.

[/I]

Quick Reply