DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Walls and Ceilings (
-   -   How can I fix this wall (

mdawg 02-01-2007 09:03 AM

How can I fix this wall
My Air Conditioner in the window had some problems over the summer and it leaked water out the front instead of the back. I really diddant notice this problem untill it was a bit too late. Now I have water marks going down the wall and its cause a chip of the wall to come off. Im not sure what type of wall this is to where it just chips off like this but what can I do to repair it?

mdawg 02-03-2007 03:42 PM

bump? anyone care to comment?

cibula11 02-03-2007 04:38 PM

I would get some lightweight drywall compound and spackle over the chiped off part. Actually, first make sure that the area is completely dry. Put a fan on it for a day or so until it is. Then spackle with a 6 in. mudding knife. Paint.

glennjanie 02-03-2007 05:27 PM

Hello Mdawg:
The chipped off wall in the pictures is a plastered wall. The base coat of plaster is typically applied 1/2" thick on either lath or a type of sheetrock. Then there is a 1/8" finish coat applied over the base. The base is rough and sandy while the finish coat is made of finer materials, whiter and trowelled to a smooth finish.
In your case the water got between the base and finish coats causing the cracking and chipping off. All the loose finish coat needs to be removed (you can tell the loose parts by pushing on it or lightly tapping it with a hammer) if it moves or rattles it is loose. Then make sure the base coat is sound by brushing the loose part off with a stiff brush, wet it lightly and re-apply the finish coat. The finish will need to be trowelled with a steel trowell several times to make it smooth.
After the gray tone has left the finish coat completely (3 or 4 days) it can be primed and painted.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 AM.