DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > How to repair the leaking roof

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 AM  
stole

Default How to repair the leaking roof

Big rain yesterday, and I found several leaking spots on the ceiling in the bathroom. Could anybody tell me whether this is caused by a leaking roof? And how to repair it?

I uploaded the pictures to my flickr, and this is the link.

2011-05-03 13.08.56 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2011-05-03 13.08.38 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 12:29 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 381 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Without being on the roof I can only guess an improperly installed skylight flashing or a faulty skylight dome, itself. The other leak could be almost anything from damaged shingle, leaking pipe boot flashing to ??? Heck I've even found bullet holes in roofs.

If you aren't comfortable on the roof, call a roofing contractor to give an estimate. Most usually come by for free and will provide an assessment of what it will take to repair or replace that area.

...oh, and welcome to House Repair Talk!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:47 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman1 View Post
bullet holes? Where on Earth were you?
You'd be surprised how many bullet holes we've found over the years. People celebrate on New Years, grab the pistol, head outside at midnight, pop off a couple rounds and what goes up, must come down.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 AM  
stole

Thanks, oldog. I found the water mark on the ceiling is barely noticable right now. Is it a problem that I have to fix right away? will it get worse over time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Without being on the roof I can only guess an improperly installed skylight flashing or a faulty skylight dome, itself. The other leak could be almost anything from damaged shingle, leaking pipe boot flashing to ??? Heck I've even found bullet holes in roofs.

If you aren't comfortable on the roof, call a roofing contractor to give an estimate. Most usually come by for free and will provide an assessment of what it will take to repair or replace that area.

...oh, and welcome to House Repair Talk!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Think about the question you just asked. No it's not going to fix it's self and no it's not going to be less work or get any better if you put off fixing it. If you wait plan on replacing the whole ceiling and insulation in the attic and some of the sheathing on the roof may be rotted.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:23 AM  
stole

Can I go on to the roof, find the leaking spot, and use the roof caulk to seal the roof? Is it the right thing to do? Can I walk directly on the roof, or is there anyting I need to pay attention to when walking on the roof?

thanks!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Caulk is almost never the thing to use and fix it right. It will just crack and leak again. When a new roof goes on caulking is never used.
If your not even sure if you can walk on the roof then it really would be best to hire someone to come take a look at this. Your not going to know what to look for how to fix it or where to look. Any real roofer in most cases unless the whole roof needs replacing, will figure it out in a few min. fix it and be gone.
Pictures of the ceiling will do nothing to show us where the roof may be lekaing.

Last edited by joecaption; 05-05-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:34 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by stole View Post
Can I go on to the roof, find the leaking spot, and use the roof caulk to seal the roof? Is it the right thing to do? Can I walk directly on the roof, or is there anyting I need to pay attention to when walking on the roof?

thanks!
Yes, you can go on the roof, but how steep is it? And what type of roof surface is it?

Roof cement can be used if it is not exposed to UV rays. For exposed caulking I'd recommend a tri-polymer or rubber based caulking NOT SILICONE.

You can walk on most roof surfaces without damage as long as you are careful, wear soft sole shoes.

You also need to pay attention to gravity, it can kill you.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 PM  
stole

bought a roof caulk (black) from home depot, and went onto the roof to caulk around the skylight window. Done without breaking my bones.

The roof caulk is different from silicone, it is more sticky, you have to use miner spirit to wash it off from hands, painfully.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:38 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by stole View Post
bought a roof caulk (black) from home depot, and went onto the roof to caulk around the skylight window. Done without breaking my bones.

The roof caulk is different from silicone, it is more sticky, you have to use miner spirit to wash it off from hands, painfully.

WD40 will work also. Good job, now we'll see what happens when it rains. Did you see anything that looked like it was the leak source?

Quick Reply