DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > How to repair the leaking roof

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 PM  
stole

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post

WD40 will work also. Good job, now we'll see what happens when it rains. Did you see anything that looked like it was the leak source?
I had WD40, but I never know it works that way until now.

Yes, there is a gap between the window and shingles, so I caulked around the window. If it still leaks, at least I know it is not the problem of the skylight window.

Other than that, I can not find any apparent problems with the shingles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 410 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Can you post a pic of the skylight? As Joe said caulking is not a long term fix if it's exposed to UV.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 PM  
DIYchick
DIY Rocker

I have a similar issue in my upstairs bathroom. The people I bought the house from installed a skylight in the vaulted ceiling and when it rains really heavy I get a bubble right under the window. Can you please explain what you mean by using WD40 to do a temp repair? Also, what is a more permanent solution? I have a fairly steep pitch on my roof.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 410 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYchick View Post
I have a similar issue in my upstairs bathroom. The people I bought the house from installed a skylight in the vaulted ceiling and when it rains really heavy I get a bubble right under the window. Can you please explain what you mean by using WD40 to do a temp repair? Also, what is a more permanent solution? I have a fairly steep pitch on my roof.
You can use WD-40 to clean roof cement from your hand, fingers and tools after a repair. It is not used to fix a leak.

...and DIYchick, if that is truely you in your avatar I think you will not have any problem getting a roof repair done VERY inexpensively. Heck if you lived closer I'd do it for free just cause you posted it

Old 08-25-2011, 03:59 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Rocker, I think the WD40 was mentioned as a product than can be used to remove roofing cement from one's hands, not as part of the repair itself. The best long-term method for fixing leaks is to find the exact source of water entry, and eliminate it (usually by means of re-directing the flow and closing the entry points). If your place has a steep pitch, you might consider paying someone to perform the repair, rather than risking a tumble (Ouch hurts!). Either a professional roofer, or even a skilled handyman with good references.

In the last 40 years, I've installed many skylights, and never had a leak. But I've inspected dozens of other people's installations (while doing home inspections), many of which did leak. The common problem with most of the leakers was improper flashing, either at the junction with the roof, or on top of the curb/lightshaft walls. One classic leaker had absolutely no flashing at all. The lady living there just accepted it, and lived with empty buckets in her bathroom, ready to catch the deluge every time it rained.

Last edited by BridgeMan; 08-25-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:14 AM  
chrisdev

Default roof leaking

although many reson could be there ..one main reason is that u have installed improper sky light...or it may contain water marks through leakage..

[URL="http://www.chimneylinerpro.com/"]chimney[/URL]

Quick Reply